Everglades Exploration Network

I just bought the new book "Paddling the Everglades Wilderness Waterway" from Holly Genzen and Anne McCrary and to my surprise it includes a new chickee near Crooked Creek, it says it replaces Sunday Bay Chickee.

My guess is that it must be near completion; has anyone been in the area recently?

Views: 1613

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bill - I have parked there overnight.  That is in the preserve.  I called them and they said it was fine, just fill out the permit.

Amazon Bill said:

Thanks for the tips. Guess I should plan weekends with the correct tides. Now I know why you all break camp before sunrise on your trips.  I took your advice on the hot water in the thermos for the next morning coffee and hot cereal. That saves a lot of time in the morning.

Does anyone park at Turner Creek overnight? or not a great idea.

Jay, is the preserve area you mentioned the small parking lot along the creek? Or the large parking lot by Turner Canal?

The parking area where the Turner River crosses 41.  I love the route down the Turner across Hurdles Creek - Mud Bay - Cross Bays - Crooked Creek.

Bill - the small lot (I think @8-10 cars) where the Turner crosses 41.  My wife dropped a car off for a few days - when I finished my through trip up the Turner.  I love the route down the Turner - Hurdles Creek - Mud Bay - Cross Bays - Crooked Creek.

Thanks Jay. I am planning a trip with some folks from Naples, so this location is a more central location to meet.

Have a great trip.  Print the permit and leave it in the box.  That is a pretty lightly used lot.  Last year, I took off for a day trip early.  I got out of the tunnel area and realized my rod was missing.  Oh well.   Returned @5pm - as I came under the bridge and swung left, I watched as an outfitter picked up my rod and started walking to the van.  "Hey - if that's a Penn Battle - it's mine!"  10 hours and nobody took off with it.  I got lucky.

That is lucky!  I found a tackle box at Coot Bay, it was there all day, maybe two days. I turned it into the Flamingo Visitor's center. It was laying in the mud, probably was left behind like you mentioned.

Anyone have GPS coordinates on Crooked Creek Chickee?  It is strange the ENP park service doesn't provide GPS points.

This should get you close
25°47.769'N 81°17.903'W

Thanks Eric and Kim! I forgot about the Everglades Diary webpage, so busy looking at aerials and GE. E Diary really helps. Last trip, I got into Hells Bay from East River at sundown and realized I did not have GPS coord. of the chickee. Luckily, having studied the maps over and over, having aerial GPS maps and and been there once before got us there before dark. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service