Everglades Exploration Network

Day Hike to Looneyvile and Last Resort, in Big Cypress National Preserve Saturday, May 11, 2013.

Loonyville, Big Cypress National Preserve
  • Meet at Publix (Weston) at Exit 22 (Glades Parkway) on I-75 North (one exit east of SR 27) at 6:45 AM.
    I-75 north, Exit 22, left at traffic light (heading south), right on Glades Circle (2nd traffic light) and right into Publix shopping center. We normally congregate just to the left after entering parking lot.

Hosted:Happy Hoofers

Event Link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/67137159048/10151608548284049/?ref=...

Views: 740

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hear through the grape vine that landowners are not happy to lose their land. They were probably allowed to keep only a 3 acre homesite. After 25 plus years of promises and lawsuits, I was told the Addition Lands will finally be open to all this year, including hunters, as was intended in the original congressional mandate.   We will have to wait and see. I hope to be working the area this August..

I don't have much information on this area, nor have info on the back ground.

I may be able to shed some light on this guys ill fated hike as I was the co-leader of the hike. Before the hike he had assured us that he had years of experience hiking and had hiked the Appalachian trail. This was a 40 mile hike and his pack was one of the smaller ones in the group. We did check to make sure that he had plenty of water for the hike. During the beginning of the hike he started to have some cramping. When we hit about 7 miles he was in agony. I was the sweep on the hike (at the back of the hike) and we were lagging to the point where we became separated from the rest of the group. I spread my tarp on the ground so he could lay down in the shade and gave him a bottle of water. This was about midday and I knew the rest of the group would be breaking for lunch so I dropped my pack to go ahead and tell them that I would be hiking back and out with him. So I hiked 2 miles to the rest of the group and got David the Hike leader and we hiked back to where I left him. At this point he was gone and he did leave a letter releasing us from all responsibilities. It actually looked like it was written by a lawyer. He did call us when he reached his car and leave a message that he was alright  and explained his exit. Bottom line everybody that hikes with us is responsible for themselves but if you are having problems we will never just abandon you. Never happened and never will. He's a nice guy and is still a member to our group. I look forward to hiking with him again and all of you. We did do 50 and 35 mile hikes this year and everybody survived. The Looneyville hike is a short day hike and if anybody wants to go please go to the Happy Hoofers website to the Activities section and contact David the hike leader.

Thanks for your response, and I do agree your group, and Hiking the Florida Trail in Big Cypress National Preserve are the best groups I have found. Also they are very safe, and provide good information on what to bring to these trips. Also the kind of trip it will be starters, mid, extreme. I'm happy to find these groups, and have people to go out with, and learn from.

Once again this is a great event, and people come out support these kinds of events!

I never thought he was abandoned.  Maybe its just me but I will split up from a group, if I so desire, and I often do.  Im more of a loner type in the woods and I prefer exploring by myself. . 40 miles is a long hike and his decision to turn back may have been wise.. It just wasnt his day. It happens.  Its good to hear he made it to his car allright. He seemed fine to me. Tell him I said hello.  I can tell you a lot of stories that didnt turn out so good but I dont want to clutter up this thread.  I cant make it this trip but maybe I will join a hike with your group someday in the future if you will allow me.

Have you hiked the Gator Hook Trail?

Larry Alesi said:

I may be able to shed some light on this guys ill fated hike as I was the co-leader of the hike. Before the hike he had assured us that he had years of experience hiking and had hiked the Appalachian trail. This was a 40 mile hike and his pack was one of the smaller ones in the group. We did check to make sure that he had plenty of water for the hike. During the beginning of the hike he started to have some cramping. When we hit about 7 miles he was in agony. I was the sweep on the hike (at the back of the hike) and we were lagging to the point where we became separated from the rest of the group. I spread my tarp on the ground so he could lay down in the shade and gave him a bottle of water. This was about midday and I knew the rest of the group would be breaking for lunch so I dropped my pack to go ahead and tell them that I would be hiking back and out with him. So I hiked 2 miles to the rest of the group and got David the Hike leader and we hiked back to where I left him. At this point he was gone and he did leave a letter releasing us from all responsibilities. It actually looked like it was written by a lawyer. He did call us when he reached his car and leave a message that he was alright  and explained his exit. Bottom line everybody that hikes with us is responsible for themselves but if you are having problems we will never just abandon you. Never happened and never will. He's a nice guy and is still a member to our group. I look forward to hiking with him again and all of you. We did do 50 and 35 mile hikes this year and everybody survived. The Looneyville hike is a short day hike and if anybody wants to go please go to the Happy Hoofers website to the Activities section and contact David the hike leader.

Yes we did a few weeks ago's and jump from one trail to another.

Photos:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=oa.157261417767054&t...

They also jump from Gator hook to another trail on another event.

Hey Dale you are always welcome on one of our hikes. Well maybe not the all ladies hike.

Ha ha. Thanks.

I read your posts on the Gator Hook thread.  Was that the Happy Hoofers too?.

Miami101 said:

Photos:

Dale I'm like you I have done 97 percent of my trips alone, but there something to be said when you see people eyes light up.

Also getting young people into protecting the Everglades. Also the trips I have been on everyone shares information on different subjects as we find, and see things. I can say I have pick up names of lots of plants, animals, and if David is around stories. You can't beat the stories they have no price tag on them, and I hang on ever word.

I'm not a member yet, but will become a member of both group's within a few weeks. I

Larry Alesi said:

Hey Dale you are always welcome on one of our hikes. Well maybe not the all ladies hike.

That was with Hiking the Florida Trail in Big Cypress National , but members from Happy Hoofers go for example that day we had Esther, and also had David alone on the trip from FTA.

Dale said:

I read your posts on the Gator Hook thread.  Was that the Happy Hoofers too?.

Miami101 said:

Photos:

So these all ladies hikes, are they still the Happy Hoofers or Happy ?? .. sorry couldn't resist~

Larry Alesi said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service