Everglades Exploration Network

I have a mind to try and reach Robert's Lakes Strand from the Gator Hook Trail on the Monroe Station leg of the Loop. I know the Fl. Scenic Trail runs through the Strand on the eastern end but I have yet to hear of anybody coming in from the west. The first couple of miles of the old Gator Hook logging tram that runs southeast off the Loop has been cleared, but it's all wild after that. The line of the tram is still evident after the cleared path runs out, and I was able to follow it for about another half-mile but it gets pretty boggy in places. Anybody else have any info on this route?

Views: 16919

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can you imagine what it looked like when they were still there?!??!

It really was the big cypress!

TFA, when you get the magazine, it would be great if you could scan & post more pics from back in the day...before "progress" "fixed it all""
Get Cesar Becerra's book. Giants Of The Swamp, a very good history of the area during the logging days. Logging in the Big Cypress was considered to be one of the most dangerous jobs in the world at that time. It's too bad that most of the old growth has been cut but at least they didn't clear cut, or we wouldn't have a Big Cypress at all.

Cesar has also re-issued the 50th Anniversary Collection of the Everglades Magazine.
Archery season in the Big Cypress will be here in a week and in another few months the weather will be more comfortable for hiking.

I found my old pictures of the lost loggers camp with the hand pump well. This is on a pretty little island near the middle of the "W" adjacent to the old railroad tram. I hope to find it again so we can utilize it as a resting/camping spot.

The pictures were taken with my little Kodak 120 cartridge camera. I apologize for the poor quality. The date on the back is Oct 1990.
Attachments:
Sounds like an interesting book.

I came across this old picture online of a logging tram somewhere in the Big Cypress. I think its a good chance its the Gator Hook trail. The destruction was done as fast as possible...
Attachments:

The Roberts Lakes/gator hook area is really fascinating. There is so much to learn about the history of the glades, but not too much info out there. Over time, people have paid more attention to the biological diversity, and geological history rather than the human history of the land itself. Thanks for filling in some of the blanks

Sue will never serve morning coffee again but I hope Monroe Station gets preserved. I like Roberts Lakes too. The ancient Indians used the area and appear to have left some small mounds. My favorite area is out to the oaks near the middle point of the "W". Im going to find that well pump one day. Its out there somewhere on an island. Now is the time of year to go hiking. Was the Loop Road open past Gator Hook?

i don't know how i never saw this thread before, it's so great. thank you guys. i am not much of a hiker, spend most of my time on the water... but this thread really inspires me. are there any more with more photos? thanks.

Loop road was closed, but some racoons came out, moved the sign, and put it back while we went to Sweetwater strand. I'm actually going back out this weekend--even if my girlfriend is pissed at me----she wants to go the Sobe food festival. Anyways, i'll be out there alone Sunday afternoon--gonna try to make to the actual end of the Gator Hook trail. After reviewing my path of Google earth, I don't think i made it all the way to end last time. I'll bring my camera this time. I've been missing the solitude of  that place all week!

A large section of track has been removed in the beginning but you should soon find the elevated tram again. By your earlier description of the washouts and log jams, you made it that far.  It's a long SE walk but the first clue as to your location is when the tram turns from the SE to the NE at Larrys Gator Hole. A huge gator may still live there on the right side. I checked out his hole when it dried up and it was full of teeth and partial jawbones. Deer and hogs, not humans lol but be careful.  Also be careful of mocassins at the washouts. You will now be headed NE.

The next landmark to look for is an old tree stand on the right through the tree gauntlet as the tram runs at ground level. Then you need to pick up the elevated section again.You may have to walk on the dike, on the side, on the dike, on the side, back and forth etc but stay close to the raised portion as much as possible. You are still headed NE.

When the last elevated section ends, you will be in a different world of Bald Cypress, Red Maples and ferns. You will notice the difference.  This is the prettiest section IMO with interspersed Oak trees and tall Cabbage Palms. Look to follow my orange ribbons if you make it this far. Bring a stick to poke in the water for submerged gators.

This is the farthest I was able to go because its very hard to follow the trail. The old loggers/hunters camp and well pump (see pics) is there somewhere. Its about the center of the "W" and at some point the trail should turn SE again but its very overgrown and I cant quite find the turn.. My Sprint Nextell actually has a signal at this point. 

Leave early and bring lots of drink and snacks. I sure wish I could go with you Andres but I wont be able to for a few weeks at least. Be sure to write the story and be careful.

i'm attached to my skiff till god knows when, please take pics... i can see i am turning into a hiker! have fun and be safe. 

Hey Dale, thanks for your info and insight. I really appreciate the insider stuff. Unfortunately, I didn't make it out this weekend, I'm shooting for next weekend.

I went in March and was able to find the pump. The water was low and the bugs were non-existent. Made it from Gator Hook Trail to the FT and then north to Oasis. Didn't see a soul out there.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service