Everglades Exploration Network

This topic has emerged in other threads, I thought I would start a Python thread.

I'll start off by asking these questions:

What threat level do these preditors pose to campers in ENP?  We are potentially on their menu, what precautions should we be taking?

Views: 1777

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I havent tried it but Bob Hill told me in an emergency to pour alcohol in its mouth and it will release. I like the slit the mouth tip. Try to cut away from your own body.  Its interesting that he had a Klein knife.  I like the serrated fixed blade Klein knife that cuts insulation board.  I prefer the fixed blade because you may not be able to open it with one hand. The safest thing to do is call IveGot1

1) im guessing the danger is the crush, not being swallowed.
2) if I can move my hand/s to pour a drink, im gonna slam it then cut through the snake any where I can.
3) I saw comments about alcohol on the head, but not in the articles, only as follow up. Could be folks in the field know more or just have their legends. Its not too common for a human to be attacked. Usually the other way around. Dude in herald article grabbed the 18 foot python which fought back.

I carry a sharp machete and pocket knife. The hooch is on ice back at car or camp.

I've applied to be a "python responder" with the FWC.

They offer courses and I am signed up for the June 24th course in Lake Worth.  Most of them are up there.

They did say if 8 or more were interested, they would offer one down here.

Here's the info on the already scheduled classes in Palm Beach:

June 24, 2014

Responder training, 10:00 am – 1:00 pm
John Prince Park, Parks Maintenance Field Office, Lake Worth, FL 33461
Enter the park through the main entrance on Prince Dr., turn right onto Center Dr., and go to the end of Center Dr. where it intersects with Camp Site Rd.  The Maintenance Field Office will be straight ahead on left. Enter and go to the Training Room.

Register online

July 11, 2014

John Prince Park, Parks Maintenance Field Office, Lake Worth, FL 33461
Enter the park through the main entrance on Prince Dr., turn right onto Center Dr., and go to the end of Center Dr. where it intersects with Camp Site Rd.  The Maintenance Field Office will be straight ahead on left. Enter and go to the Training Room.

Register online

July 22, 2014

Daggerwing Nature Center, 11435 Park Access Rd., Boca Raton, FL 33498

Register online

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service