Everglades Exploration Network

Has anyone ever done this? I am thinking about giving it a shot on Friday. There is a boat ramp on Miller and 117th ave. It looks on Google like I can follow that canal to Tamiami Trail and then follow that all the way out until it turns into the Miami River and eventually into the bay. 

Views: 1053

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have some good links I saved from my past research may be interesting to read. You may have already read them. http://digitalcollections.fiu.edu/tequesta/files/1949/49_1_05.pdf

http://books.google.com/books?id=zurodoiWitEC&pg=RA1-PA96&l... 

Sorry I am not much help.  It was long ago. We used to put the airboats in near 20 mile bend as far as I can recall. The tourist boats are still allowed to run so I would imagine you can use the trails. We used to cross over them all the time and wave to the tourists. One time as kids we hid in the grass and pretended to be Indians and popped up when the tourist boat came by..

As far as I remember, Harneys men had to push the boats for a while until the guide was able to regain his bearings.

Well overall it was a pretty easy and nice paddle. I put in on Miller & 117th and ended on Key Biscayne right before the big bridge. It was 19.34 miles. And I finished pretty quick. I thought I would be out there all day but I finished in 5 hours, with a 30 minute break at the dam off Lejune by the golf course. I saw a lot of things I didn't think I would. Lots of herons, egrets, turtles, a couple of manatee's, an osprey by the airport hunting, and of course lot's of people looking at me like I was nuts. I enjoyed it a lot, I will probably do it again some time soon. 

You should have paddled down past Matheson Hammock and up Snapper Creek

to come back to your launch site.   A giant loop!  Next time.

I made a little Video of the trip. Click on the link to check it out! 

I called my buddy to get some modern history of Chekika Island. He told me the cabin was built and rebuilt several times by John Ellis. He gave the camp to Bill Westbrook (not sure of the spelling) who gave the camp to my friend Jimmy Ruggles. It burnt down while in his care. He wanted to rebuild but we decided against it because the possibility of ENP taking over and putting an end to all traditional recreational activity including squatters camps, and that's exactly what happened.

Jimmy told me he carried loads of concrete blocks to begin the rebuilding process that should still remain on the island, along with a well pipe, that may or may not be capped, and a concrete BarBQ cooker. Im sure a large gas stove is also there somewhere. The full track and airboat entrance was on the NE end of the island where the water was deep but may be overgrown. The last time I visited the area in my full track, I almost got stuck in the marl. I visited again in my ATC but the entrance was too deep but a canoe would have worked. There was a dock on the southside of the island.

My buddy found many WWII shells suggesting use in the 1940's. The island is infested with Pygmy Rattlers.  Pottery shards can also be found. Of course the island and everything on it is now under the protection of the ENP and it would certainly be illegal to remove anything without permission..

Thanks for posting the video it was great! Daniel, was that that little ramp on 117th between miller and sunset?  Did you leave a car there or had a vehicle dropped off at Rickenbacker?

I've gone from the 97th and sunset ramp (left car there) paddled past US1 but there is a weir that prevents you unless you portage to get out to the Bay.  It was a really nice paddle surprisingly.

Got dropped off and picked up in key biscayne. I think I will try the loop next time, for the most part it was easy paddling. 

Do I need to login to view?  oops its playing now.

Fascinating bits of real living and history! Harney-Chekika in 2014 ?

Earlier in October I mapped a route under the new bridge

and connecting to Blue Shanty Canal, although the open grass

just west of Blue Shanty is better.   So the entire route from

Fort Dallas to Canepatch has been mapped and ground-truthed,

mostly paddled, the only stretch not paddled is between Shanty and Causeys

as that was mapped by airboat.   A night at Causey Camp is a must and

it's in a good spot, the following day would put you somewhere in the middle

of the slough.

So it's all ready and waiting for the first through trip since Col. Harney.

Reading over the details and it looks like a great trip. Thanks for posting the history items.

Keep in mind I'm behind a desk hell every day so information like this is great. Thank you for posting.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service