Everglades Exploration Network

Tarpon Lake Day Hike Saturday June 1 hosted via Happy Hoofers-FTA

Where to meet:
We will meet at the Publix Super Market at Glade Crossing 2465 Glades Circle Weston, FL 33327 at exit 22 off of I-75 at 6:30 AM Saturday June 1St where we will carpool to the hike area. Please be forewarned that this will be a wet hike. Yes your feet will get wet. If you have an aversion to water this may not be the hike for you. You will also see an Eagle’s nest, bear tracks, and one of the nicest deep water lakes in the Big Cypress. Please see Esther's great pictures below for a sample of what to expect.

http://mapq.st/18f4SXG Map to Publix

Details:
Alligator Alley recreation area, 2.3 miles west of the Miccosukkee Service Plaza at Snake Road/Government Road/W State Road 84
  • Celebrate "National Trails Day" with this amazing 5 mile hike, that will take you through some beautiful areas of northern Big Cypress and end at beautiful, remote & lovely Tarpon Lake, which is rarely visited and unknown to most.

Please note the 7:30am start time and plan to arrive by 7:15am! We'll have ankle deep water in some sections of this hike.

This new(ish) recreation area is around mile marker 52 and about mid way across Alligator Alley. We normally meet at mile marker 63 rest area, so this is 11... miles closer to you :)

Please come out for this exciting hike to show your support for TRAILS DAY and explore a seldom visited area within Big Cypress National Preserve.

David Denham is leading this hike, along with several other awesome ACTIVITY LEADERS from the FTA. I plan to join as well, but will be breaking off a little early.

Bring: 64 oz water, small backpack/day pack, snacks (maybe lunch), a hat, etc.

Views: 924

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cool.  I have heard off road vehicles will not be allowed this year but other than the battle with ORVs, the battle you speak of is pretty much over..  The area will stay this way (full of wildlife) as the area is preserved. 

Looking at your photos it appears your group is walking on the buggy trails. Im sure its cool to use them but are there any hiking trails in the area?  Looking forward to more photos.

I guess its understandable that you do not want to reveal too much online about this area.  I wanted to tell you what I know but maybe its best not to discuss it at this time.  My boss told me to try and be patient. I will know more in 2-3 weeks. In the end we should all join together for the common cause because none of us want to cause any harm to the area.

I am curious what the new recreation center 2.3 miles west of Snake Road looks like.  Are there bathrooms?  Is there electric? A picture would be cool but I guess I will need to drive out there.  This may be where I park my little camper.

Heres a photo of my little Scotty and shower tent when I worked Bear Island a few years back.

Miami101 said:

I have more photo but limited to 10 shots upload a day! I will try to upload more that area is very nice.

Map not sure they want to put them out infact the area is lock for now. I think the maps will go up once they mark the area. I hear there is a battle going on over motor off road type . There where lots of bear tracks, animal tracks, and the area looks very nice hope it stays that way. About 20 something hikiers showed up.

Attachments:

It looks as if these will continue to be the access points:

1. Access the Addition Lands North and South of I-75 at the 63 mile rest area.
2. Access West side of Addition Lands North of the Alley thru the Bear Island unit.
3. Access the mile wide strip between SR 29 and the Bear Island thru the Bear Island unit and the Bear Island grade.
4. Allow vehicles ... to travel and park on both sides of Tie Back Canal ... North and South of Alley. [ Vehicles have entered and exited I-75 at this point accident free for many years.]

Are the photos secret too?

No I posted the posted up, and the limit of this site is 10 photos per day. I also posted them on Facebook.

On the map it not a secret I just don't have it. I know it was distribute for the event. I know it not mark yet as a path. You might want to hit Jerry up for the map.

I'm going to post up my ten photos per day right now!

Dallas said:

Are the photos secret too?

Its a great feeling to share.

I sawsome of the photos. Thanks for posting! I liked the photo of the bear tracks. Were there any photos of the lake itself?

Miami101 said:

I have more photo but limited to 10 shots upload a day! I will try to upload more that area is very nice.

Map not sure they want to put them out infact the area is lock for now. I think the maps will go up once they mark the area. I hear there is a battle going on over motor off road type . There where lots of bear tracks, animal tracks, and the area looks very nice hope it stays that way. About 20 something hikiers showed up.

Yes going up some have to upload later today from home.....

Most of the hiking we do now is a combination of Buggy roads and hiking trails. It's pretty much unavoidable. Dale I sent you a message.

As you are probably aware, hiking trails disappear so fast in the swamp, especially in Pinelands. The buggy trails will last longer.  However...

...there was a very well used buggy trail through the large Pinehead at a place commonly called "The Hump" in the Stairsteps 2 Unit.  When the designated trail system was implemented, a gate was installed by NPS and kept locked but people still used it as a hiking/ walk hunting trail.  Its marked on the Big Cypress WMA map as Pinelands Campsite and was at one time an official designated camping spot.  We fought hard for this designation..  I didnt use this trail for 2 years because Loop Road was under construction.  I went back this past season with Keith only to find the trail has completely disappeared!  Its gone. Just like that. Compacted or not, I couldnt find it and I implemented a determined search throughout the day. The main buggy trail through the Pinelands disappeared in 2 short years. 

Moral of the story. "Use it or lose it".

oops Stairsteps 3 Unit sorry

Wow that is an impressive group of swamp sloggers. I guess if I had gone, I would have been the only hiker wearing camoflage lol.  I prefer to blend in with my surroundings. The fellow with the shorts must have some tough legs. I once knew a guy that walked the swamp in bare feet but I havent spotted his tracks lately. Were there any mosquitos?  It looks like you had a great time. Thanks for the pics. I guess you havent reached the photos of Tarpon Lake yet. Is the lake natural?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service