Everglades Exploration Network

Considering heading down to the Big Cypress this weekend and wondering about the water level. Thinking of possibly heading into the area south of 441. Maybe check out gator hook trail. Nothing set in stone. Thanks Dennis

Views: 640

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Vibrams I have aren't for hiking. I don't know that they would even stay on. Vibram makes the soles for work boots so i would imagine they are strong. The sole is the bulk of the shoe, the top is just to hold it on your foot.

I did the first 15 miles from I-75 barefoot a few years ago with a pack loaded for a week after my shoes came apart a few hours in. I go barefoot a lot so my feet are pretty tough.

I have thought about the jungle boots. Does mud get inside them? I have a few pairs of hiking boots but they are so heavy.

Nope. After an all day hike its possible to have a dirt spot on your socks from the vent hole but very little mud gets inside as they can be tied tight.  I dont tuck in my pants anymore but you can if you prefer.

Dennis McDonald said:

I have thought about the jungle boots. Does mud get inside them? I have a few pairs of hiking boots but they are so heavy.

Maybe that's what I need. I wear shorts so no tucking in of pants. I must have cleaned my shoes at least 5 time before I just left them off. The mud builds up underneath and makes it very uncomfortable.

Sometimes socks can slide down, bunch up underneath and be very uncomfortable but the first thing I do is get my socks wet and they stay up tight. Double socks for blisters. 

Shorts are no good. I have never hiked or hunted with a person wearing shorts. Sawgrass must cut your legs up not to mention bug bites and poisonwood/ poison ivys. Myself I rarely stay on the trail. I always bust into the thickest areas exploring and looking for something special so shorts would not work for me. 

Dennis McDonald said:

Maybe that's what I need. I wear shorts so no tucking in of pants. I must have cleaned my shoes at least 5 time before I just left them off. The mud builds up underneath and makes it very uncomfortable.

I hate wearing long pants. I like to explore unfortunately I can not get down as often as I would like so most of it is trail hiking.

I have only got poison ivy a couple times in the woods and never that bad. I have got it in my friends yard and ended up at the emergency room on the 4 th of July once.

The bugs I just deal with mostly no see ums around my ankles.

I have a large tattoo on my shin and the guy that did it always yells at me for beating up his work.

A couple years back the mosquitos were so bad they killed a den of panther kittens.  The poor cats had no defense.  They tried to cover up their delicate noses with their paws. The mosquitos and biting flies will eat you up if you hit the wrong day. Its better to wear long pants than to use noxious chemicals.

Shorts are good for canoeing but myself Im not interested in slapping bugs and scratching all day and nite.

I caught poison ivy one time. They say each time gets worse, not better.  Thats what I read.

Im lucky. I will get to spend at least 5 months in the swamp this year. Im moving my little Scotty camper out in a few weeks.

You are definitely lucky. I went down to Flamingo last summer the skeeters were pretty bad. I do have the pants with zip off legs but usually take them off soon after heading out or just leave the legs in my pack. I don't wear bug spray or use suntan lotion. When I am kayaking I always wear light shorts. Something that dries fast. Hopefully I will make it back down this fall. If I do I will stop and say hello.

I been in that area of late the water goes on some parts up to you waste. There are fish on the trails.

As per shoes I was wearing water proof snake boots which turn out to be fun...the water fills up, and does not let it out. I done a few trips with running shoes...lol

Im towing my little 70s Scotty camper to Forty Mile Bend tommorrow for the season or until we know whats happening in the Additions.. I am grateful to the FWC for hiring me and Im grateful to the NPS to allow me to live on site.  Also thanks to my co-worker Carol who has worked there since the BCNP was first created, the Miccosuki Indians who maintain the site and the police who watch the area every night.  Also grateful for the artesian well that runs 356 days a year lol . Im grateful to all those that fought so hard to preserve our recreational rights in the Big Cypress watershed back in the 70s and those that are still fighting today.

oops the water runs 365/24 hrs a day.  Pressure goes down but it never dries up.

I moved my camper in place for the season. The raising of the Tamiami Trail seems to be completed and I didnt stop one single time from 20 mile bend to Dades Corners, coming back to town.  There were a few stops travelling west in the morning but absolutely no stops or speed bumps going east in the evening.  I think that another bridge will be built but Im not really sure when. The water in the canal was extremely high. Its about the highest I ever saw. I didnt stop to look but I would imagine this means that the flood gate is open.

Why is the canal water so high? I thought it was supposed to be flowing underneath the bridge? I pulled over on the bridge to look over and see the flow but I really could not tell what was happening. It appeared to be flowing west but this must have been the winds.Surely its flowing better than the old culverts. I guess its just too much water with no place to go.

Attachments:

Been here in the Big Cypress for a couple of weeks now but not really keeping track of time. The water is high and flowing nice. Pictured is one of my favorite bathing holes off the Loop Road with strong current.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service