Everglades Exploration Network

(Sorry, It's been awhile since I have used this site so I posted this under "blog.") I was talking to a Kayak guide and he said the mouth of Charlie Creek is blocked. He said that fishing guides told him it is blocked also which I took to mean Gopher Creek above Gopher Key. I'm not sure if I got that part right or not. 

Views: 482

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello, me again. It's December 19, 2019 now. Anyone know the condition of Charley Creek/ Gopher Creek? If not I hope to take a look at it next week and I'll report back. Rob

Rob, will try and find out from our locals here on Chokoloskee. 

Hello Vivian. We met some Kayakers today who were told by Gulf Coast Visitor Center that Charlie was open. Allison and I are hoping to check on Charlie on Thursday. I'll let you know. Rob

I think it will be awhile before it will be safe to assume creeks are completely open, even after a good report.

I know that around Flamingo, some areas look like there has been about an 80% die off of the mangroves due to Irma. The trees are now gray and brittle. So, after every good blow there is gonna be more wood down. It might be a good idea to pack a portable saw.

I was out exploring the last few days and realized for the first time in South Florida I was being cautious of widow makers!

How things have changed.

Rob, hope your trip was fun! Glad I got to see you both before you left. Believe it or not, have not run into anyone I know that has run the creek entirely to the gulf. The portion from Pelican Bay to the start is fine but no word on middle to gulf. I don’t know if Joel was able to check it out on his trip as he is still out there.

Rob Stevens said:

Hello Vivian. We met some Kayakers today who were told by Gulf Coast Visitor Center that Charlie was open. Allison and I are hoping to check on Charlie on Thursday. I'll let you know. Rob

looking to try Charlie Creek from ocean side in a couple of weeks - never saw an update on this thread. 

trip is EC to Mormon then charlie and poking around to sweetwater and then back

Hi Scott, I spoke to a local guide last week and he mentioned the park now has more funds to deal with back log of repairs and maintenance. They had said the creek would be opened.  Try calling the gulf coast ranger station to see if this has been done.

i was hoping for better info. i've found that most of the ranger station people really don't know what is happening in the park. i'll just have to let everyone here know what I find when I go that way. if all else fails, i can backtrack to chatham river

vivian said:

Hi Scott, I spoke to a local guide last week and he mentioned the park now has more funds to deal with back log of repairs and maintenance. They had said the creek would be opened.  Try calling the gulf coast ranger station to see if this has been done.

I totally agree with you. Option is to stay at Turkey and probe from that end.

As of today, Charlie Creek is blocked. Confirmed by friend that tried to get through last week.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service