Everglades Exploration Network

I have a mind to try and reach Robert's Lakes Strand from the Gator Hook Trail on the Monroe Station leg of the Loop. I know the Fl. Scenic Trail runs through the Strand on the eastern end but I have yet to hear of anybody coming in from the west. The first couple of miles of the old Gator Hook logging tram that runs southeast off the Loop has been cleared, but it's all wild after that. The line of the tram is still evident after the cleared path runs out, and I was able to follow it for about another half-mile but it gets pretty boggy in places. Anybody else have any info on this route?

Views: 16925

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really wish I could but I can't miss work tomorrow.  Thanks for the invite!  I sent you a PM.

Water levels in Roberts Lake Strand have spiked after the rain last week. The pond apple sloughs and the lakes may be flooded again.

"Water levels in Roberts Lake Strand have spiked after the rain last week. The pond apple sloughs and the lakes may be flooded again."

Correct you are Keith.

I realized immediately the high water alongside the Loop Road. The washouts were flooded. The flag pond and pond apple sloughs are all flooded and I had a bad day. It started off bad when I broke a tooth on some tough as nails beef jerky at the bench builders camp. But I decided there was no reason to turn back. I noticed one of the benches was overturned by animals, I presume, but otherwise all was untouched.

I walked a little ways along the trail until I reached pond apples and then I started searching south. I discovered this area (picture) It looked like a good possibility but the problem was the Alligator Flags almost 6 foot tall between me and the island. I couldnt see over them. I copy and pasted an image of a water pump in the photo to demonstrate what it may look like. Also look for a very large cypress knee. I remember the pump and knee being near the edge of the island... Look closely at the color of the leaves. I cant tell if they are Paradise Trees but it looks like live Oak tree leaf color that would be found on an island. Im standing in pond apples to take the picture but I must cross alligator flags to reach the island. In the 80s we had a trail on the left side of the flags but after all these years it would be grown over and I expect it will look today like my copy and paste photo.  I tried to stand on discarded logs to see over the flags. I strained my eyes but couldnt see a pump or the green bucket that may be over it.  My only choice was to walk across the flag pond and see for myself.

I carefully navigated around the left edge to reach the island. The Oak trees turned out to be sooty Cocoplums, not oaks  and I could find no pump, pots and pans or any sign of human activity.  Oh well... keep searching. Here was another possiblity but no pump.

The area turned out to be full of flag ponds. I even discovered a lake. My definition of a lake is no vegetation. Maybe we can call it Dales Lake lol.  Too much water here and 5 foot flags in the pond.  They seem to be all connected like a continuous slough and Im on the wrong side. I decided to try and go around the slough instead of going back the same way. I headed west but his turned out to be a mistake.  I spent the next several hours lost in a never ending thick fern forest. I couldnt see where I was stepping and I almost got snake bitten twice as the area holds many Pygmys and Mocasins. There is no telling what you may find in the fern forest. But I just wanted out and before I knew it, I was lost. 

The noon time sun was no help in direction if I could see it and I felt it was time to put away the GPS and I will just head north with my compass until I hit the trail. But it wasnt happening because the entire area south of the logging tram is one continuous freakin' flag pond and I am on the wrong side of it!  Im on the south side trying to go north. Im NOT walking south like the lost hikers! I had no choice but to retrace my steps all the way back to the island. This took hours.

I finally reached the flag ponds at "Dales" Lake but I was lost again as I didnt know where to cross. My GPS was so zigzagged I couldnt tell one direction from another!  The compass was also no help. I knew which way was north but I couldnt cross the flag pond in a northerly direction. My legs were cramping and I was starting to understand the frustrating feeling that the lost hikers must have experienced in this area but I refuse to go south because I am not really lost....or am I?

In an attempt to end this story, after walking in circles all day I finally found the crossing that I originally made and was able to cross the flag ponds and head north toward the trail. To see the orange blazes never felt so good and I was soon on my way down the Gator Hook Trail..

I saw some amazing things along the way but my camera battery went dead. That's par for the course. The only regret I have is the broken tooth. What a wild and wonderful place. I even found signs of freshly chewed Alligator Flag centers. It looks to me like a wild hog. Could a few of DeSotos smart tough hogs have survived? I can only hope they will repopulate and take their rightful place in the deep swamp.

Something I want to mention. I arrived at Monroe Station at about sun-up in time to see about 2 dozen dump trucks lined up and ready to work. I spoke with some ATV riders and they told me the NPS is still building hard rock roads in the Big Cypress National Preserve. .

In my search for the pump island, I noticed the trees in the area are completely covered in orchids. Some of the orchids were 20 and 30 feet up the trees...amazing.  

Here is a photo I took of a tree overhanging the water with an unusual combination of an epiphyte that appears to be growing on large tree galls. Notice how clean the water is. My question: is this an orchid?  Does anyone recognize it? Is there any relationship between the tree galls and the plant?

I used to have a collection of a couple of hundred orchids (none wild collected) before Wilma scattered them hither and yon.  I was also the Secretary of our local Orchid Society.

Dale - the answer is maybe.  It is almost impossible to tell the species (21,000+) of an orchid without seeing the flower.  You might get close to the genera (@880)...as in that it looks like a Cattleya but it could be a very different genera.

The good news is that the plants look like they are in "spike" which means that they should bloom soon.  If you can get a picture of the flower, we might be able to identify it.

Thanks Jay.  I think I should learn about orchids. Do you know of any good websites on Big Cypress/Everglades wild orchids?

Here is an interesting story I found online of an orchid hunters encounter with a large alligator.. Its the large ones that are the most dangerous. He is lucky the gator surfaced to take a better look before attempting the attack underwater. http://richleighton.hubpages.com/hub/Orchid-Hunting-in-the-Florida-...

Every now and then you will encounter an aggressive gator and his actions will be different from all the others. Thats a sure sign to get out of the water. I still believe its the one you dont see that will get you but if you are lucky enough to get any warning at all, take it.

Dale, I was in a rush at the airport and wanted to add a few things that might help you.

Although the numbers seem daunting (880/21000) if my memory serves me correctly there are only 40-50 species that are native to Florida.

If you think you see an orchid in bloom take a picture and note the dare and conditions (light,moisture,type of tree). Chances are you will find that and other plants of the same species a blooming in similar conditions at similar times of the year. When you know the conditions you are looking for you will be surprised how many more you will see.

Look closely at the flower. All orchid flowers have 3 petals and 3 sepals. One of the petals will be very "deformed" and is referred to as the labellum - many refer to it as the "lip". This lip serves as the attractive landing pad (flying or walking) for the pollinator. So if you see the 3 and 3 you might have an orchid (remembering that it might look like 3 and 2 because one of those petals is the lip). If you are at a grocery store, look at an orchid in bloom and you will get the picture.

I will search for a good site for Florida Native Orchids when I get home.

40-50 species doesnt sound too bad. I may be able to learn to recognize them all.

A quote from the orchid hunters blog:   

"Don't ever get too comfortable in the wilderness. It leads to distraction, which leads to mistakes. You can't make mistakes in the Everglades."

I guess we are still on topic here since orchids are so prolific in the Gator Hook area.

Dale - here are a couple of good links for you.

Gallery of Native Florida Orchids - this is pretty cool in that you can select a month, or a season and it will filter the pictures by those that typically bloom during that time.  You can also filter by color.

Observing Florida Orchid Species

Species Native to Southern Florida

As you can see, getting a picture of the plant in bloom is key.  Good luck!

Great links. I am studying them now.

Jay said:

I guess we are still on topic here since orchids are so prolific in the Gator Hook area.

Dale - here are a couple of good links for you.

Gallery of Native Florida Orchids - this is pretty cool in that you can select a month, or a season and it will filter the pictures by those that typically bloom during that time.  You can also filter by color.

Observing Florida Orchid Species

Species Native to Southern Florida

As you can see, getting a picture of the plant in bloom is key.  Good luck!

Yes it will probably bloom soon but I dont know if I want to get lost again in the maze of flag ponds. It seemed every direction I wanted to go had a bellowing gator and they were well aware of my intrusion into their habitat.. It may be common because there were others.

Jay said:

The good news is that the plants look like they are in "spike" which means that they should bloom soon.  If you can get a picture of the flower, we might be able to identify it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service