Everglades Exploration Network

I am planning on going out next year for the Python Challenge. I am looking for any info on Holey Land wma and Rotenberger wma. Has anybody been hunting in either? Would you say it is the same as Big Cypress? I am planning to go check them out in a few weeks. If anyone is interested in joining me on the hunt it is March.Thanks

Views: 488

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It bothers me that more is not being done with regard to the snake invasion. We all know of the big snakes caught and the declining mammal population but to see it first hand is something different altogether. I have come to the realization that perhaps it is too late.

For instance, I drive 41 generally twice a week and have for a good long while. Years ago, the early morning fog would give way to raccoons, possums and the like as road kill from the night before. Early AM would bring hundreds of rabbits feeding in the grass on the side of the road. I traveled slow to both avoid and enjoy the wildlife.

Now, all I see is the unfortunate alligator hit by a car and the equally unlucky vulture that was feeding. NO rabbits whatsoever, NO mammal roadkill. These animals are just gone. Using roadkill as a proxy for a population may not be the best measure but it is sending a message for sure.

The Python hunt is admirable but removing 100 of 10,000 will not make a dent.

What can be done? I fear it is too late for our native critters. Sad.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service