Everglades Exploration Network

I am looking to get my feet wet for camping by kayak. I was looking at possibly doing this site but the comments I read on Everglades Diaries about many gators and crocs present makes me hesitant. I was wondering possibly a stupid question. How do you keep the gators away from the site at night safely?

Views: 4608

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sure Daniel, I always tell people "I'm not Polish, but I am a pole photographer" ,, lol

I can't claim to be the first, but I have perfected my own setup & technique.. look for lots more to see very shortly on http://www.kayakfari.com and another site I'm preparing..

FYI I have reached the practical limit, which I believe is about 35ft .. (went up over the mid 40' mark, but it was too sketchy, felt like an accident waiting to happen!)

really cool, thanks. having been there and up in that country a lot, i couldn't figure how you got up that high!

Just wanted to thank you all for your advice. We had a wonderful trip. We put in at West Lake on Thursday a little before 11 and canoed down to Alligator Creek campsite. We didn't see a single alligator the whole day! We camped on the grassy spot. We didn't have any problems with bugs at all. The only ones we saw were hundreds of fireflies. It was amazing! The next day we canoed out to Shark Point chickee and explored all around the bay. We slept on the chickee without even a tent and the stars and the sunrise were gorgeous. Ended up going back up Alligator Creek to West Lake to try again to see a 'gator. Finally found one in a little pond between mangrove tunnels. We really enjoyed all the birds, fish, and sharks we saw. There was a little mud we had to deal with, but nothing too terrible. I felt you all had me really prepared. Thanks again. I can't wait to go back and take my husband with.

haha, great. you somehow avoided the 2 things i associate with that part of the glades... bugs and large reptiles. and funny too, that you're home because the temps are gonna drop... looks like you times it right. was there water up in long lake and the lungs? about how much? was it clean? thanks... 

There was water both places. There were spots that were pretty low and you could see the vegetation, but still enough water to canoe over it. It was cleaner in the lungs, not so much in long lake.

thanks... my old neighborhood. how deep would you say? inches? feet? see many critters? fish, birds? have not been up there since before the freeze of '10. 

Did you go to the marina? You can ALWAYS see the big crocs down by the ramps & dam!

Yep. Coz we are on our way. Its minus 20 at home. Thought you might enjoy a refreshing chill in the Glades, so we are bringing it.

I would say 1-2 feet? I am not that good a judging depth. Long lake was pretty murky so it was hard to tell. We saw a ton of birds. Our favorites were terns (maybe?) that would dive bomb straight into the water. We also saw herons of all kinds, brown and white pelicans, egrets, ibises, sandpiper-like birds. We saw fish that would jump straight out of the water. Any idea what those were? There was one that committed suicide on our campsite at Alligator Creek. Just threw itself onto the mud. We pushed it back in once, but it did it again so we let nature take its course. We saw dozens of little sharks on the bay. We were told they were probably bonnethead sharks, but I cannot confirm this. We saw jellyfish and horseshoe crabs. We saw no snakes or any other reptiles except for the one gator in the pond and one other that we caught a glimpse of just as we were paddling back into West Lake. I was hoping to see spoonbills, but none that I could identify.

We never made it all the way down there. We got in way later than we expected on Wednesday night (2 am!) so we were behind on Thursday and wanted to get on the water as soon as we could. I'll have to go visit the crocs next time.

thanks.

spooners are usually in and around shallow water... less than a foot. the fish you saw jumping were most likely mullet. there are tons. bonnets look like hammerheads, but smaller and more of a rounded hammer. 

Fantastic! I am happy you saw the everglades in its best behavior. What a great trip!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service