Everglades Exploration Network

Looks like another Fall and Winter season has come to an end.  

What trips do you hope to do this coming season?

This was my 2nd season with EEN, added a couple of minor events to the bucket list went to Mud Lake and volunteered one day. Best trip was camping with my son and inviting old friends to Mud Lake and introducing them to the Backcountry. Biggest lesson learned, double check the meet up site before the last day!

• Goals this year
  • Get down Taylor Slough
  • Help find a Mahagony to Shark short cut to set up future one day Shark Slough runs
  • Family holiday trip
  • Find back route to East Cape via Bear Lake Canoe Trail
  • Volunteer again

Views: 1086

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am confirmed on the 18th.

Amazon Bill said:

Ya'lls posts really picks up my landlocked ego  having all you experts blogging on the Bucket List. Terry, As Yogi Bear says, "Aye Aye BooBoo nooooothing I like better than a PicNic basket."  Grandma prefers high speed powerboats, so she is out. Would a jump to Fox Lake be a side tour on the brochure? Is Sat 18th a go anyone? I can try my converted 14.7 Old Town tandem as solo unless someone has room or wants to jump in my canoe.  Water depth looks almost a foot higher than when Jay went on Jan 2. High tide water elevation will be +3.0 on the 18th.

on Jan 2 East Cape Low tide was at 8:40 AM at -1.3 ft.  Flamingo was Low at 11:29 AM -0.7

on Jan18 East Cape Low tide is at    9:24 AM at -0.3 ft.  Flamingo was Low at  12:19 PM -0.3

I guess it's true, can't believe this was in the Herald though. Next thing someone will tell the world about the sure fire red and snook spot by the triangle notch next to shallow shoals. Jeez!

toofaraway said:

I just had a trip report by phone from a friend that he made it through from Bear Lake to Gator Lake without portaging.  I believe he found a tunnel at the spot marked 64M.

TFW

I'm with you on the publicity issue, to an extent.

I used to night dive the mini season in stiltsville back in the 70's & 80's. Had the place to ourselves, Then in 90 the Herald listed it as "the" hotspot and by 91 it was packed. After Andrew, every yahoo in town had a generator, all of a sudden, there were more lights on the flat than on Key Biscayne...

That said, I think this is different. . Every yahoo in town dives miniseason and anyone with a boat can get to stiltsville.

On the otherhand, you can't even get folks on to the brochure trails! The idiots tend to be lazy (look at the bearlake fishing guys) nobody works hard to be lazy!

This trip & the others Sue has publicized are hard reaches, even for strong paddlers. Lot of work to get out there,

I don't expect it to look like I-95 anytime soon.

And from what I hear, it's a clean trail, no cuts, no drags, no damage to the resource, while providing a safe route to & from the cape. I don't think the park should have an issue with it. 

What we need to do is push to have the park promote more alternative paddling routes! Publicizing that they're out there may be productive.

We have a new Superintendent coming soon, need to get him/her out on these lost trails to show them that they are an integral part of the visitor experience!

And at a 3+15 hour paddle in each direction, it's a big effort investment for a couple of hours in the area.  For most who go out there, it will be a one and done.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service