Everglades Exploration Network

Just a heads up. Sweetwater is closed through December and Oyster Bay is limited.

Views: 246

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Any news on Rogers chickee?

What happened? Maintenance?

The phone number to the

backcountry permit desk for

Flamingo is 239-695-2945

and

Gulf Coast is 239-695-3311

Give them a call and let us know the status.

Sweetwater needed maintenance last year...caution if you are standing on the edge of the planking - gazing across the pond in the middle of the night....or any time for that matter.  You might get hit in the arse by a board popping up as you ungracefully slip in the drink.

Both are maintenance. I think Oyster is going to be opened off and on during the holidays. We have oyster on the 25th and have been told the other half is closed. Rogers is open and we were warned of a friendly alligator that will come up bump your boat.

Roger the alligator is still there? He also circles the platform while you are having dinner, similar to a shark. Without the background music.

Jay said:

Sweetwater needed maintenance last year...caution if you are standing on the edge of the planking - gazing across the pond in the middle of the night....or any time for that matter.  You might get hit in the arse by a board popping up as you ungracefully slip in the drink.

I remember it was a little swayey last Jan.. Never did investigate what if anything was holding it up

Half of Oyster is now the porta potty. Jester explained it to me but i forget the details. Bottom line is that when they rebuilt from the fire, the porta potty could no longer be at the "V" of the platform. Had to be put on one of the chickee sides, taking up a good chunk of it.

But it should be a DAMN comfortable single!

Rob Stevens said:

Both are maintenance. I think Oyster is going to be opened off and on during the holidays. We have oyster on the 25th and have been told the other half is closed. Rogers is open and we were warned of a friendly alligator that will come up bump your boat.

How do you have a reservation for a chickee so far in advance? 

Rob Stevens said:

maybe he is already on a trip and its on his permit. Sometimes I  have had  a permit for twelve days out and reservations for next week will show up.

That he is online though it flabbergasting to me in the context of trip.

Yes he is and he was kind enough and he was kind enough to lay alongside our canoe with us up on the chickee. He is 9+ feet long. He also knows who fishes and who doesn't. Our first night at the chickee we never saw him. Days later, when we shared it with a fishing party, he showed up night and morning.

vivian said:

Roger the alligator is still there? He also circles the platform while you are having dinner, similar to a shark. Without the background music.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service