Everglades Exploration Network

Below is a link to updated information concerning the Everglades National Park's General Management Plan.

http://www.nps.gov/ever/parkmgmt/upload/EVER%20GMP%20newsletter5%20...

The National Park Service has had a history of siding with the major user groups (in our case the power boaters) concerning management planning and I have a feeling it will be no different for the ENP.

Views: 1262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree that a separate thread is not necessary but I did move this one to the Advocacy forum.

The only reason that's like that is powerboaters are the majority at these meetings.

If the meeting is packed with paddlers then paddling issues will be addressed.

Money is everything so paddlers need to target ideas that are the best bang for the buck.

The "Alfternative WW" plan floated a few years back was the opposite.

We all already paddle an "Alternative WW", putting in a pile of costly markers with costly

maintenance makes no sense.  For all that money paddlers wouldn't gain anything.

Instead, improving access to Shark Slough only requires approval, no money, in fact, the

concession could make money by hauling boats down to the airboat ramp and paddlers

would gain 30 miles of a real Wilderness Waterway.  Think of the enhanced visitor experience,

the current WW just takes the visitor through salt water, the real Everglades is right down the

middle of the River of Grass.

Good point well said.

Terry said:

...Think of the enhanced visitor experience,

the current WW just takes the visitor through salt water, the real Everglades is right down the

middle of the River of Grass.

I posted the following comment to the ENP Public Comment

website.http://parkplanning.nps.gov/commentForm.cfm?parkID=374&projectI...

RE: Public Comment to the ENP GMP EIS

I am in support of advancing the outdoor experience for Americans with components of the ENP GMP EIS NPS Preferred Alternative, specifically the addition of backcountry campsites and platform campsites in the wilderness area. There are additional low cost, low impact alternatives or components to consider for inclusion into the ENP GMP EIS NPS Preferred Alternative. These additional components include the following: using the abandoned science platforms in Taylor Slough and Shark River Slough for backcountry camping. These existing platforms could reuse/recycle much of the existing on-site materials would not need to have port-a-let facilities. Combining this with parking/access from L-67 Canal and/or Shark Valley Park would yield a totally unique American Everglades experiences; a 25 mile wilderness River of Grass canoe/kayak trek through the heartland of the Everglades. Two routes are established already they just need campsite platforms: 1) the Shark Valley route L-67 to Vulture and Gumbo Limbo Hammocks to Canepatch campsite. 2) The Taylor Slough route from Pine Island to Craighead pond science platform to Nine Mile Pond.  The alternative campsites would be at the abandoned science platforms located at:  West of Gumbo Limbo (25°37.272'N+80°45.036'W);  SE of Gumbo Limbo (25°36.125'N+ 80° 44.498'W); South Shark Slough (25° 31.705'N+ 80° 47.728'W);  Craighead (25° 13.792'N+ 80° 42.318'W).  This will create a new dimension to the ENP, open 'glades paddling in the River of Grass', two 25 mile fresh water way complement to  the 110 mile mangrove/salt Wilderness Water Way.

Also, create a repository website of the history of the Everglades that allows park users to load historic photos, stories, events, social, cultural knowledge into the website. Time is of the essence. The early Gladesmen and creators of the ENP handed down the legacy of the park to their sons and daughters who now hold that first hand knowledge. Those holders are reaching retirement age and the first hand knowledge base will decline as years progress.  I would like a written response to the outcome of these viable low impact, low cost alternatives.  Thank you for allowing public comment.

Thanks Bill, I don't know if you had talked to Yakmaster but your comment reinforces exactly what he talked

about at the first public GMP in Homestead last night.   My comments were very specific and targeted:  To

provide better access to Taylor Slough Canoe Trail, interpret Whiskey Creek and Still Creek, and change

culverts to improve water flow at current canoe landings.

We need more paddling input.   Make the time to attend and comment at one of the meetings.

At last night's meeting of 100+ people, Yakmaster and I might have been the only

paddling interests present.   We were the only ones who spoke on paddling issues, the others were

motorboat and airboat access.   With paddling one of the encouraged methods of visiting a Wilderness Area

the park is very receptive to comment, however, if no one comments there's only one conclusion.

I dont think they care about the history Bill.

Amazon Bill said:

Also, create a repository website of the history of the Everglades that allows park users to load historic photos, stories, events, social, cultural knowledge into the website. Time is of the essence. The early Gladesmen and creators of the ENP handed down the legacy of the park to their sons and daughters who now hold that first hand knowledge. Those holders are reaching retirement age and the first hand knowledge base will decline as years progress.  I would like a written response to the outcome of these viable low impact, low cost alternatives.  Thank you for allowing public comment.

I read the Yak's post and will be heading to the Dania meeeting in April. I wonder if someone could post a meet up on kayak club site to go to the workshop.

Terry said:

Thanks Bill, I don't know if you had talked to Yakmaster but your comment reinforces exactly what he talked

about at the first public GMP in Homestead last night.   My comments were very specific and targeted:  To

provide better access to Taylor Slough Canoe Trail, interpret Whiskey Creek and Still Creek, and change

culverts to improve water flow at current canoe landings.

We need more paddling input.   Make the time to attend and comment at one of the meetings.

At last night's meeting of 100+ people, Yakmaster and I might have been the only

paddling interests present.   We were the only ones who spoke on paddling issues, the others were

motorboat and airboat access.   With paddling one of the encouraged methods of visiting a Wilderness Area

the park is very receptive to comment, however, if no one comments there's only one conclusion.

Your probably correct most folks don't care about the history. But I've run hearings for gov agencys and sometimes that one crazy comment gets someone's ear and action happens. Socioculture is a big part of NEPA which is the EIS process.

Dale said:

I dont think they care about the history Bill.

Amazon Bill said:

I suggested officially acknowledging Charley Creek, Gabbage Creek, the north creek out of Canepatch,

the north creek out of Willy Willy and the Lost Portage as part of the Wilderness Waterway Complex.

These passages are well known, well used and most are even described in WW books, they need to

be included in the official maintenance schedule and not relied on by rogue boaters.

Go to a GMP meeting and speak up they're happening now at a location near you.

Paddlers have got to make themselves known.

I will be writing my comments to include your suggestion Terry.

Meanwhile another weekend trip this time, Pavillion. The island has lots of trash everywhere and both porta potties full to the brim and one had trash in it. If the park intends to open more campsites, they better plan on maintaining them. If the park can't maintain the campsites they have, don't open new ones. Am I the only person bothered by this?

Who else is going to the Broward (IGFA) meeting next monday night?

The park is well aware of daily maintenance and they're concerned about routine problems more

than anyone else but under the current regime they're lucky just to get

fuel to operate boats.  Especially during this time one of the programs that the park service

relies on is volunteers, all it takes is to walk in the front door, fill out the paper work and dedicate

your time.   And, yes, you can volunteer for any division, including maintenance.

vivian said:

I will be writing my comments to include your suggestion Terry.

Meanwhile another weekend trip this time, Pavillion. The island has lots of trash everywhere and both porta potties full to the brim and one had trash in it. If the park intends to open more campsites, they better plan on maintaining them. If the park can't maintain the campsites they have, don't open new ones. Am I the only person bothered by this?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service