Everglades Exploration Network

Below is a link to updated information concerning the Everglades National Park's General Management Plan.

http://www.nps.gov/ever/parkmgmt/upload/EVER%20GMP%20newsletter5%20...

The National Park Service has had a history of siding with the major user groups (in our case the power boaters) concerning management planning and I have a feeling it will be no different for the ENP.

Views: 1262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Terry does quite a bit of maintenance, especially at Biscayne, but also Everglades...but he don't captain the honey barge...

Terry said:

The park is well aware of daily maintenance and they're concerned about routine problems more

than anyone else but under the current regime they're lucky just to get

fuel to operate boats.  Especially during this time one of the programs that the park service

relies on is volunteers, all it takes is to walk in the front door, fill out the paper work and dedicate

your time.   And, yes, you can volunteer for any division, including maintenance.

vivian said:

I will be writing my comments to include your suggestion Terry.

Meanwhile another weekend trip this time, Pavillion. The island has lots of trash everywhere and both porta potties full to the brim and one had trash in it. If the park intends to open more campsites, they better plan on maintaining them. If the park can't maintain the campsites they have, don't open new ones. Am I the only person bothered by this?

I am planning on going down to the meeting at the IGFA.  Hope to see some of the group there.

Reviewing the background info:  I think it would be important for us to speak specifically supporting the NPS Preferred Alternative regarding "Paddling and Camping" as follows"

"Canoe/kayak launches would be provided along Tamiami Trail,allowing for both short- and long-distance paddling opportunities.The locations of these access points would be coordinated with Tamiami Trail Modifications: Next Steps. Permits would be required for overnight use in the East Everglades Addition, as is the case in other areas of the park. Long-distance paddling routes (unmarked) would allow visitors to connect through Shark River Slough to the main park road, Alternative Wilderness Waterway, or Whitewater Bay/Gulf of Mexico.

Tree islands in both the frontcountry and backcountry zones would be identified for day and camping use. To protect wetlands and wildlife, including threatened and endangered species, routes and sites might be periodically closed or have limited access during nesting seasons or low water periods. Other tree islands not specifically identified for visitor use would be closed. Public use areas could be maintained cooperatively via contractual agreements with commercial airboat concessioners or other stakeholder organizations."

In addition, I think most would agree that in this day and age - an on-line backcountry permit reservation system could/should be developed.  The current system encourages double trips to the park wasting fuel and time.

See you there.

"In addition, I think most would agree that in this day and age - an on-line backcountry permit reservation system could/should be developed."

ABSOLUTELY NOT! I cannot imagine anything worse for ENP backcountry access than an online reservation system, especially one that allowed reservations more than 24 hrs in advance. Do you really want to see the NPS version of ReserveAmerica with the backcountry booked solid 6 months in advance? Go online and try getting a campsite at any of the state parks for this weekend, or even a month from now, and you'll see what you'll get if you go to online reservations.

Certainly wouldn't suggest anything different than the current 24 hour deadline. In fact longer might be dangerous. Just looking to make the process more efficient. Why should every multi-day trip include an extra 160 days of diving or a night in a hotel?

NO! NO! DON'T TOUCH THE CURRENT PERMITTING SYSTEM.

When they first went to permits back in the 70's it was terrible, commercial outfits took them over and the

park quickly realized they needed to go to what we have now to let individuals get a permit.   It was terrible,

Individuals were pushed out.  The current system is the best, it gives everybody an equal chance.

Jay said:

Certainly wouldn't suggest anything different than the current 24 hour deadline. In fact longer might be dangerous. Just looking to make the process more efficient. Why should every multi-day trip include an extra 160 days of diving or a night in a hotel?

"Why should every multi-day trip include an extra 160 days of diving or a night in a hotel?"

I'll take a wild guess that you meant "160 miles of driving", but I agree - why should it? Just get your permit the day of your trip. I do it all the time and I've never had to cancel or delay a multi-day trip for the lack of available campsites. If you want to go a day early, you already have your camping gear, so just stay the night in Flamingo or Chokoloskee or BCNP and you're already there with no extra driving.

The thought of an online reservation system gives me the chills - its such a short and slippery slope from there to the end of the excellent first-come first-served system that's already in place. Having said that, I'm not stupid enough to believe that reservations at ENP will never eventually go online, but I'm in no hurry to see that happen.

So I was about to ask if I was the only one trying to watch the webcast today and getting no audio, and seems like no activity either.  Then, at 5:59 pm a message that the webcast starts at 6:15pm pops up.  Woo hoo!  Hang in there boys and girls.  FIU session is on Thursday.

I think it was a good meeting.  The focus of most comments at the meeting were on the the proposed pole/troll zones. That is going to have a big impact on the power boat fisherman and they should be concerned.

There were several paddlers that spoke and we all supported the proposals for additional backcountry campsites and additional access from the north off Tamiami Trail.  I spoke to maintaining the status quo on the Wilderness Waterway and not establishing an alternative Wilderness Waterway.  There a countless ways across the park, I think a better way to handle it is to let each of us determine our own WW - and to use the parks limited resources elsewhere.  I also supported the additional access from the north as well the additional campsites - provided they can maintain and SERVICE the ones they have.

I only heard one negative comment directed towards paddlers.  It was from a fisherman who implied that it was the paddling lobby that was behind the pole/troll proposals.  Otherwise it was a pretty civil meeting - while I was there. Had to leave right after I spoke.

No - I didn't mention anything about an on-line reservation system.

I talked to Fred Hurling Park Planner during the open house part. He remembered the comments from the Homestead meeting and the EEN group wanting better slough access and campsites. He said it was being considered.

My take is the park needs some things that show they listened and adapted their plan. Flats fishermen are not happy, but our requests are low cost and consistent with conservation. I think we may have a shot at getting more into the plan if we can be specific.

One new concern I have is if they take private airboat access away in the distant future, what would stop them from making us rent canoes and kayaks from the airboat vendors and using airport vendor access points being proposed. That is why I made the comment about needing a NEPA EIS Revaluation in the future when private airboat access is taken permanently.  I was speaker 10. I reiterated what I posted on page 2 on EEN site.  One other speaker was their supporting canoeing.  Speak up, they are listening.

Thank you for speaking up at the meeting, I could not attend. I will however send written comments.

Agree with all, LEAVE permit system alone!
I also want to add this to my comment on permits: open permit desk at 7 am instead of 8 am

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service