Everglades Exploration Network

Vivian asked on 26 January "...is the Fakahatchee River open?", I take that as an

invitation to the next probe.   Faka Union River and East River shown here as

white lines are open excellent canoe routes.  The Fakahatchee River, the blue line, has

the best landing and would make another great addition to a loop trip connecting with

either Faka Union or East River.  The only little reconnaissance I have heard so far is

it's closed up.   Does anybody know anything about the Fakahatchee River from

Tamiami Trail down to Fakahatchee Bay?

Views: 3728

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's what skills are for : )  and a skeg.

yakmaster said:

But then you get into the open & you hate that rocker!!

Esther Luft said:

On this river it comes down to inches.  One inch narrower and my canoe would have fit through several spots that required lifting.  Two inches shorter and the guys in the 15' Grumman would have been able to make some turns without lifting/stepping out.

In a kayak I would stay at 14' and under.  Remember, you are in one spot in a kayak, even in a SOT. 

Vivian, at 15' x 27" you would have been fine. 

SwampWitch, at 16' in a kayak, it would have been a bear.  Mind you, I am a kayaker first and foremost and can easily hold an edge while turning (climbing my boat over downed trees (as in the invitational when Terry, Charlie and I went over the tree and everyone else went around)).  Charlies hull crunched (scary) but no damage, I was able to drive my seat onto the tree, balance on the edge and drop in, Terry just jammed his canoe through.  That was SOOOOOO much fun!

I would stay in a shorter boat, high rocker, for the Fakahatchee.

no, 14'... rocker like a summabitch... and a rudder!

Lift the rudder & you and spin on a dime, engage and it keeps you off the sides of the tunnels and holds a straight line in the howl!

Love that Bavaria Boote!

Boat doesn't much matter as long as it's not too long to make the swings around turns.

If you kneel,  you can pretty much pop the stems out of the water and spin the boat even if it has no rocker. Did Noble Hammock in an hour in the Curtis Nomad(15 feet) by heeling the boat so the rail touches the water.  So you can take a no rocker boat and make it something else.

And on the open..rockered boats can be fine if you can paddle them straight. I did most of the Glades once in a whitewater boat.. including coming up the Gulf.  The chief problem is that they usually are slower, though the full bow was a real lifesaver in heavy waves!

Sea kayaks are a bit of a different story as they are harder to edge as radically as you indeed are in one spot.. and the double blade ..isn't a mangrove tangler?

I will be back in the Fakahatchee area March 20..for some poking and gunkholing..!  Meanwhile I'm looking at a wall of snow.  Be bringing my pretty unrockered Curtis Nomad.

"If you kneel,  you can pretty much pop the stems out of the water and spin the boat even if it has no rocker."..."heeling the boat so the rail touches the water.  So you can take a no rocker boat and make it something else."

No Kim...you can do these things, but normal humans can't!  You can make a 2x4 do a pirrouette! :-)

As for the old "tradition" of using only double blades on kayaks, I've switched to a single blade for many reasons, including tunnel running, but you really need a rudder so you can paddle on one side & use the rudder to compensate.

http://youtu.be/gBKib9G1aDw

This is pretty extreme.  I can't get it laid over nearly that much - but enough to get a canoe with 1/4" of rocker to turn.  Of course I love how it tracks straight.  Everything has tradeoffs.

I would love to look at that link..but my AV program says dangerous.  Usually it is paranoid.

Heeling with a trip load of water is kind of hard, I admit.. and I usually am disinclined to fall in if its dark and pokey in there.

Marc Ornstein

Not sure what happened to that other link.  I need to work on my edging more.

I am not even a good canoeist (skill wise) but I manage to edge my hemlock kestrel in very twisty mangrove tunnels. Kneeling is a must to gain control and reach. The only thing that is not fun are those 90 degree turns such as are found in hells bay trail.

Before season ends, I plan to do at least a portion of this river.

OK..Marc.. I know him.. He is the organizer of Florida Canoe Symposium.  And will be there, as will I . He is a northerner too! 

We will be in Yulee March 15-18. And I will be floundering in the Faka area starting the 20th!   So I have my maps out now..

Here is a link to the latest CrossPost..might might make mangrove tunnel travel easier. It does for me..even those hairpin turns and the never to be again dreaded Wood River.

http://www.freestylecanoeing.com/Crosspost/CrossPost_Winter_2013.pdf

Not meaning to hijack..but is the Ferguson River airboat territory? I might explore that too.

We got her through some spots doing an ugly keel, it worked.  Other spots where too tight. 

The rocker comment was for kayaks.  A long waterline boat would be a #^&$!

Kim, I'd love a lesson if you're up for that sort of thing.  I hear you've got skills!

yakmaster said:

"If you kneel,  you can pretty much pop the stems out of the water and spin the boat even if it has no rocker."..."heeling the boat so the rail touches the water.  So you can take a no rocker boat and make it something else."

No Kim...you can do these things, but normal humans can't!  You can make a 2x4 do a pirrouette! :-)

As for the old "tradition" of using only double blades on kayaks, I've switched to a single blade for many reasons, including tunnel running, but you really need a rudder so you can paddle on one side & use the rudder to compensate.

Hey if Kim can be persuaded to come down to Miami to do a few lessons before her next trip to Flamingo, sign me up too!

The final & ultimate trip report has been filed!

Courtesy of Sue Cocking, not only does she keep the spiders off Terry, but she writes purty too!  Thanks Sue for great writeup and Terry for another excellent adventure!

Susan Cocking | In My Opinion

Fakahatchee not quite a river of tears, but it is painful

A weary Terry Helmers pauses from paddling his canoe through a mangrove tunnel in the Fakahatchee River.  In the background is Charlie Arazoza in his kayak.    
    Sue Cocking    /    Miami Herald Staff 

By SUSAN COCKING

scocking@MiamiHerald.com

Jeff Ripple’s 2004 book,  Day Paddling Florida’s 10,000 Islands and Big Cypress Swamp, doesn’t have much good to say about paddling the Fakahatchee River.

The author calls the narrow stream that winds south from Tamiami Trail between Miami and Naples to Fakahatchee Bay a “gnarly route” where “you will invariably get lost” and where “it will be difficult for anyone to rescue you.”

The only reasons to do it, the book says, are for the solitude and because it’s there.     

“Expect to be whipped, thrashed, slashed, smashed and otherwise similarly abused,” Ripple warns.

Such a ringing endorsement for the possibilities of self-flagellation would deter most paddlers. But not veteran South Miami explorer Terry Helmers, 59. Since late last year when someone inquired about the river on the website gladesgodeep.com, Helmers became fixated on checking it out.

“What attracted us to it, it is a hard trail. The people on the website like that stuff,” said Helmers, who disdains what he calls “brochure trails” found in many local parks.

But the meticulous planner and researcher wanted to learn all he could beforehand. In January, fellow ’Glades explorer Jay Thomas volunteered to do some preliminary reconnaissance.

Thomas managed to paddle from Weaver Station on Tamiami Trail south on the Fakahatchee for a mile or so before turning back. On another trip, he launched from the river’s southern end at Fakahatchee Island and headed north for a distance before once again turning back.

With the middle third of the river still untried, Helmers pored over Google Earth maps of the region, made color printouts, and overlaid them with GPS coordinates. His plan was to attempt to paddle the entire five miles or so of the Fakahatchee River to the bay, then return to the highway via the more manicured East River trail. Then he invited others to join him on the February expedition.

“Just because it’s been done doesn’t mean it’s doable,” quipped Helmers’ friend Charlie Arazoza, who signed on anyway.

Ready for battle

Eight others joined the trip, armed with varying degrees of healthy skepticism and trepidation — including me. Helmers advised everyone to eat their Wheaties and be prepared to use canoes and kayaks as battering rams — getting very wet and muddy in the process.

Our group launched four canoes and three kayaks before dawn at Weaver Station (directly across the highway from the Big Cypress Bend boardwalk), and headed south on the Fakahatchee canal, which quickly narrowed to a shallow, muddy and twisting creek surrounded by arcing red mangrove prop roots. Some might call these jungle-like mazes mangrove tunnels, but that would be generous. These are pipelines — so tight that we had to eschew paddles completely and propel ourselves hand-over-hand, ducking overhangs constantly.

Sitting forward in Helmers’ 13-foot aluminum canoe, which led the single-file procession, I probably crashed through 10 spider webs in the first 15 minutes. I tried to fend them off with my paddle, but mostly used my head. After that, I stopped counting. If you suffer from arachnophobia, this trip is  not for you.

Occasionally, we emerged from nature’s culvert pipes to small ponds flanked by open prairies. Several “slides” ostensibly made by alligators dotted the river bank, but I never saw a gator. Every now and then, a heron or some other shorebird would rustle or squawk up ahead of us, but I think most birds heard us clanging, splashing and chattering way beforehand and made a quick exit.

As we paddled, pulled and pushed loose roots out of the path and flailed at spiders, Helmers and I speculated on how much paddling traffic this little-used, pain-in-the-butt river actually gets. Spotting a few old cuts in the timber, we could tell somebody had been here, but not in quite a while. Helmers, a maritime history hobbyist, said Weaver Station had been an outpost for the Southwest Florida Mounted Police back in the 1920s. He figured plenty of skiffs probably made the trip back and forth between there and Fakahatchee Island, a bustling settlement for probably hundreds of years. More recently, another paddler said, paddlers from Outward Bound plied the Fakahatchee.

Wrong way

After traveling for a couple of hours, we reached a series of small open ponds that diverted to the west of the narrow river trail. As we began to paddle into the first one, Helmers said suddenly, “It’s not right.”

He stopped and consulted his map and GPS as the rest of the group gathered round.

Helmers said the correct route was through the dense thicket of mangroves — not the ponds, which would eventually dead-end in a marsh.

Scanning the tangle of water trees at one end of the pond, he found a tiny opening and pronounced that forbidding path as the way forward. Most of us groaned, but everyone followed. Much later, he was proved to be correct. But the spindly route was blocked with more prop roots and deadfalls than ever, and our canoe became a constant battering ram. Twice I had to climb out of the craft onto a mangrove trunk and back into my seat to continue down the “river.”

To say this was not a leisurely trip would be a gross understatement. My shirt got ripped trying to duck sharp overhangs, and I got slapped in the face several times by elastic branches. The bottom of our canoe looked like the hopper on an industrial wood chipper, and it was crawling with spiders. I was so used to them by now that I just ignored them.

“This is annoying,” Helmers said, as if reading my thoughts. “It’s a good trail, a good river, but it hasn’t been maintained. It could be a real good paddling route.”

He had a point; the paddling trails on the nearby Faka-Union and East rivers, trimmed by unseen hands, seemed like wide Mississippis in comparison.

Past noon after bush whacking for nearly six hours, the river began to widen noticeably. Weary, we stopped for lunch. Arazoza said we had covered about four miles. And we still hadn’t reached the bay, which was the halfway point.

“You don’t measure things here in miles per hour; you measure them in hours per mile,” Arazoza said to weak laughter from the group.

Homeward bound

No one dawdled over lunch; we were pretty set on making it back to Tamiami Trail before dark.

Finally emerging from the Fakahatchee river tunnel into the open bay in early afternoon, our relief was short-lived. An incoming tide and stiff south wind combined to try to push us backward and sloppy little white-capped brown waves splattered against the bow of the canoe.

Helmers and I had to dig in really hard to make way to the mouth of the East River at Daniels Point. The gap widened between paddlers struggling against wind and current. But no one capsized, and things got much easier as we headed north on the East, wind and tide pushing us onward.

The first time I paddled the East River back in the 1980s, I found its mangrove tunnels narrow and daunting and had a hard time traversing its windswept open bays. But on this day, it was a snap. Our entire group arrived at the take-out a good hour before dark. Total distance: about 11 miles.

Helmers was exultant; others, not so much.

“I would venture to say no one’s ever done this twice,” Arazoza said as he pulled his kayak on shore.

To me, our Lewis & Clark 1.5 expedition was a bit like childbirth — painful, but with a tangible result. Perhaps the memory would fade after enough time to want to do it all over again.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service