Everglades Exploration Network

I have a mind to try and reach Robert's Lakes Strand from the Gator Hook Trail on the Monroe Station leg of the Loop. I know the Fl. Scenic Trail runs through the Strand on the eastern end but I have yet to hear of anybody coming in from the west. The first couple of miles of the old Gator Hook logging tram that runs southeast off the Loop has been cleared, but it's all wild after that. The line of the tram is still evident after the cleared path runs out, and I was able to follow it for about another half-mile but it gets pretty boggy in places. Anybody else have any info on this route?

Views: 16927

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thanks... anywhere to view trailcams? there's a trail i walk periodically, very typical place for them to be... on a kind of ridge... about 5 years ago i photographed a paw print... but i've never seen one.

Absolutely Zoltan. The imported Texas Cougar has made the Florida Panther a more efficient killer and more efficient breeder. The new breed of cat is not afraid of people. Its only a matter of time that someone gets hurt. Many people believe the Florida Puma has eaten all the wild hogs in the BCNP. The hogs traditionally made up 40% of a Panthers diet. With the hogs and armadillos now gone they turn their attention to bobcats, raccoon, hares, pets, cattle and deer. They will also eat turkeys and wading birds, as will Pythons. The area is saturated with panthers and the males are now killing each other. Thats the nature of the swamp. Kill or be killed.

Trail cam pic not mine.

Zoltan Torok said:

I have read between 100-200, official estimation is around 160 right now (just read somewhere), but I have a feeling that maybe they started to do well and get used to the people presence, trail cams show amazing things, panthers passing only minutes after people walked there.

My brother works with computers. He tells me he can set up a trail cam that can be viewed in the comfort of your home.

daniel said:

thanks... anywhere to view trailcams? there's a trail i walk periodically, very typical place for them to be... on a kind of ridge... about 5 years ago i photographed a paw print... but i've never seen one.

wow. cool. where can i view the trailcams? i mean, can i access one on my computer that is already up?

Not that I know of but you can purchase one. I cant afford them myself. I still have a few of the old 35mm. I know many good places to put them but there is the risk of them getting stolen especially the type that flashes at night.

The Panther Preserve has recently purchased video trail cams and are getting back great results. I read the article in a Naples Newspaper. I have the story somewhere. Naples always has the latest news on Panthers.

daniel said:

wow. cool. where can i view the trailcams? i mean, can i access one on my computer that is already up?

Im not sure what a gdb file is but here is my Map Source from my last trip. Red was my zigzagged trail looking for railroad ties. I almost gave up in an endless expanse of pond cypress. I could see someone easily getting lost here.  

Eventually I found the tram and worked my way backwards, marking the rr ties 157-169. My trip straight back is blue. I found a second little gauntlet I marked  Lil Gntlt. We were only 20 feet from the tram last weekend but we didnt see it.  I moved our ribbons over to the correct locations.

I got a little mixed up trying to follow the ribbons back after Holey Rock. This needs to be fixed.

Swamp Witch said:

I noticed something interesting on your map compared to mine.  You guys mostly took southern routes around obstacles and I mostly took northern ones.  Would you mind posting your .gdb file?  I’d like to compare it to mine with your actual data.

We came this far there is no sense stopping now. It appears the NPS is clearing the long SE first leg of the trail. The later part of the second leg needs to be fixed. Its just 2 short sections I have labeled section 1 and section 2 in orange. We need a straight shot to Holey Rock across the high ground as shown on my map and as shown on the NPS kiosk.  The weather is still good, now is the time. We could also search for the lost pump.

I have quite a few weekdays in April.  I'd love to go out while the weather is good.

Great I hope you can make it out, Jay. The boy scouts could help trample down and establish a trail but we dont have permission to cut anything at this time. It appears the NPS is cutting and clearing the first leg and it looks great but I dont know how far they will go. My guess they will stop at the Gauntlet, like before. We are on our own past the Gauntlet trying to mark and preserve the old tram.

Jay said:

I have quite a few weekdays in April.  I'd love to go out while the weather is good.

More Gator Hook Trail photos (NOT MINE)  Good photo of the railroad ties. http://morningjoy.wordpress.com/2009/04/20/where-the-water-was/

Man I need to get a good camera. My celphone pics are lousy.

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I've been following the thread since I joined several months ago. It’s a great website and a very interesting thread!  I am planning on heading out to this area early Saturday morning. If you would like some more help finding the main tram I would be happy to help out.

Welcome Chris. Im glad to find others that are interested. I absolutely loved it last Saturday. I dont know if I can make it this Saturday but at least 2 of us are planning to go out Mar 30.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service