Everglades Exploration Network

I have a mind to try and reach Robert's Lakes Strand from the Gator Hook Trail on the Monroe Station leg of the Loop. I know the Fl. Scenic Trail runs through the Strand on the eastern end but I have yet to hear of anybody coming in from the west. The first couple of miles of the old Gator Hook logging tram that runs southeast off the Loop has been cleared, but it's all wild after that. The line of the tram is still evident after the cleared path runs out, and I was able to follow it for about another half-mile but it gets pretty boggy in places. Anybody else have any info on this route?

Views: 16927

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I worry about wading in shallow water as pythons swim underwater and are not easily seen.

Bob Hill says he seriously doubts a Burmese would attack a human but I still get nervous. But what about the African Rock Python, Anaconda or Retic?

I think a small adult person or child could be considered a target. Go look at the 18 foot plus Reticulated hanging up at Shealy's Skunk Ape Research place found in the BCNP. They say a python will have trouble swallowing the human's shoulders but Im afraid a large snake would strangle first and realize that later.  http://www.coastalbreezenews.com/2012/01/13/big-snake-found-in-big-...

all over for you ...or the Python?  Do you guys carry a sidearm out there?

no, i do not carry a gun out there... i think you'd have a hell of a time hitting one if it was on you or a friend, anyway... i carry a big knife (not for that reason), and that particular snake we dispatched with a fish bat... and it was not easy... as far as swallowing a human past it's shoulders, i think like you say, that will be far too late... and since i have seen photos of them having taken down a deer or an alligator, i don't believe it, anyway... 

whoops, it didn't get the beginning of my post... of course i meant "all over for me"... i think it would be no contest... 

Unfortunately it would be over for me as well.  I hear that pouring alcohol into the mouth and eyes will get a snake to release. What if you dont have a bottle of alcohol? ...  Well lets just say how long can you hold your breath?... (while your partner tries to uncoil from the tail forward).

Well, he probably thought I was you trying to step on him again because he surprised me by suddenly coming up into the grass behind me (not real close) as I passed him to left in the pic. I think I probably scared him with all the noise I was making crunching through the dry grass as I went around him.  Either that or maybe he thought I was sneaking around behind him to step on him!

Dale said:

Thats probably the same guy I stepped on. It about gave me a heart attack. Cool pic.

Ha ha. There is another gator at the center of the W and he doesnt appear to like hikers stopping to rest near his pond or he just wanted to be friendly. He came out of the pond and forced me to retreat down the trail to Holey Rock. I had to go back to retreive my pouch and he chased me away again.. Eventually I was able to grab my camera and take pictures as he came at me a third time.

Here he is coming out of the pond for a third time and he chased me away for good as I was able to retreive my gear..

great photos, thanks! be careful, as i'm sure you know, they can be very fast on land... 

Even though he rose up on all fours, he never seemed to reach a running speed down the trail. After telling the story, my friend suggested the gator may have never seen a human before as an explanation for his odd behavior.. He came right up out of the pond and onto the trail 3 times as if he wanted to mate with me and I was definitely not interested but had no choice but to return to retreive my gear shown here on the cypress knee bench.

The gator's pond was dug years ago to create this elevated section of the tram. I notice there was bream like fish in the pond. Hard to tell by the pic but there is a dug out pond on each side and I believe I was the first to re-discover this cool section of tram since the preserve was created.

cool. i have had one run at me, i guess not far from there... i was fishing a little canal, and one took off running at me... if it wasn't for me hiding behind my truck and having a head start, he probably would have caught me. i think he was just scared of me, but it scared me, too. i remember he had a big chunk out of his tail.    

Years ago I found a gator on the trail that had a huge chunk cut out of his back and I thought he was dead so I walked up and kicked him. It was a foolish mistake as he was not dead. He whipped around very quickly and opened his mouth and hissed as I stumbled backwards. I guess I was lucky to get away from his teeth and his tail. I have however been knocked off my feet but thats a different occasion and another story.

How to Survive an Encounter with a Crocodile or Alligator. http://www.wikihow.com/Survive-an-Encounter-with-a-Crocodile-or-All...

Crocodilians typically do not include humans in their diet, but in truth they will eat just about anything if given the opportunity. They will also defend their territory vigorously, especially during mating season.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service