Everglades Exploration Network

I have a mind to try and reach Robert's Lakes Strand from the Gator Hook Trail on the Monroe Station leg of the Loop. I know the Fl. Scenic Trail runs through the Strand on the eastern end but I have yet to hear of anybody coming in from the west. The first couple of miles of the old Gator Hook logging tram that runs southeast off the Loop has been cleared, but it's all wild after that. The line of the tram is still evident after the cleared path runs out, and I was able to follow it for about another half-mile but it gets pretty boggy in places. Anybody else have any info on this route?

Views: 16925

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not yet .. was good to meet you in person Dale, good times!

When is the next trip?

Hi,

Same question from me....:) Anybody has been at Roberts Lake Strand in the past couple of days?

I was filming at the Gator Hook Trail head yesterday and actually it was pretty dry there so I am wondering maybe it's time to film the gator congregation at Roberts Lake - if our fellows are already there in high numbers.

THANKS!!!

Actually the 2nd lake that we visited on April 12 had what appeared to be no more than 10 visible gators and none were large. I dont know what is happening. I dont think this is the congregation you are seeking and attempting to film.

We didnt get a chance to visit the other lakes. I would wait a little longer but I am not the best person to ask as I visit those lakes so infrequently. All I can say is that there were many more alligators in that lake when I visited years ago. There were so many large gators that day that I was actually frightened and I cautiously backed away from the waters edge never to return until recently... 

Thanks Dale! 
I may try in the coming days, it was almost two weeks ago after all and since then it has been pretty dry.
I will let you know.

The rains may not arrive until June.  Every year is different but It can get drier.

Thanks Dale.

Finally I didn't make a turn over Big Cypress with the helicopter yesterday, filmed only in the Everglades N.P.
(see recent photos at the end of my album: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151369029506649.505117....)

Still some water, so I thought it's not worth to risk the extra hour of expensive heli time.

But I will be happy to hear if somebody finally makes it there when lots of gators congregate, I would like to trek there just for the fun, not for filming.

These aerial photos fromhttp://ufdc.ufl.edu/aerials/all/table show that even in 1953, the Gator Hook trail was much less pronounced after the "Center of the 'W'" camp.

It would be interesting to start exploring the side spur lines south that go into the logged areas.

Dale, I believe your missing lake is clearly visible below the "Center of the 'W'" camp.

Yes there is another lake. I call it Dales Lake lol. I stumbled upon it one day when i was kinda lost. But its an island high and dry that is missing with a working deep sulphur well water pump. I have 4 pictures posted from my Kodak 110 instamatic.. Possibly a loggers camp as many aluminum pots and pans were scattered about.. Also some conch shells and Paradise Trees.  We had to cross knee deep water to reach the island, but it is not near any lake. We crossed through Pond Apples and Alligator Flags but I wouldnt call it a lake. If we could find it, we could utilize it as a camp and/or rest stop.  Its south of the tram, after the "bench builders camp" but before the "center of the W".  The Bench Builders camp has a very shallow water pump that doesnt work. There is a single bench built on top of 2 cypress knees at the center of the W where a person can sit and watch the gator or enjoy the orchids before continuing on. Also there is fish at the center. But the island pump remains hidden.

Wow even in 1953 the tram is barely visible from the air after the center W. The reason for that is the tree canopy. Its very thick and shady until the "breakout" point. Some sections are also washed out. The Bench Builders Camp is pretty much the last elevated section on the main line.  After that it appears to have ran mostly at ground level and it also appears to have ran on bare white limestone rock through the Holey Rock/center of the W area which BTW has Brazilian Peppers growing out of the solution holes and is a white spot on the aerial photograph.. The white spot may have been a cleared staging area of some kind.  The trail will not be complete until it is cut through these Brazilian Peppers at Holey Rock.  Other than a small built up area at the Cypress Knee Bench, the tram runs at ground level the rest of the way to Roberts Lakes.   

Yes it would be interesting to explore the spur lines because its certainly possible that the missing pump island/loggers camp lies on the remains of one of these spurs.  I may have mistaken it for a natural island.

shawn beightol said:

show that even in 1953, the Gator Hook trail was much less pronounced after the "Center of the 'W'" camp.

It would be interesting to start exploring the side spur lines south that go into the logged areas.

The aerial photograph is cool because you can see which sections are elevated. Water is dark and bare high ground is white so you can clearly see the dark "canal" line on each side where soil was scooped up or pushed to make the elevated tram. Ground level sections do not have the darker low spots running alongside. Tree canopy can obscure the tram in some sections especially after the center of the W.. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service