Everglades Exploration Network

Mid June 2014 Paddle from Chokoloskee to Crooked Creek Chickee for Exploration up into New River

I am interested in putting together an investigative paddle mid-June based out of the Crooked Creek Chickee at the lower end of Sunday Bay to explore up into New River and to explore a few of the clearings/reported mounds on the south banks of New River.

Its probably about 5 miles from Chokoloskee to Crooked Creek (2-3 hours paddling).

I'm not sure how many can sleep on the chickee.

The idea is to leave early in the week (I'm a school teacher starting summer break), set up camp on the chickee the 1st day, then do an exploratory paddle up New River to beyond the park boundary into the preserve to identify the possibility of a dry and bug free (yeah, right!) campsite just inside the preserve.  

If found, possibly move the gear to this campsite.  If not, either way, begin the investigation of the mounds/clearings of interest that may be associated with Ft Harrell.

Let me know if you are interested.

Views: 3406

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What do you all know about ingesting sulfur to keep ticks and mosquitoes away?

see here for the military advice of eating a match a day to ward off mosquitoes: http://www.backpacker.com/community/ask_buck/14

or the safer alternative mosquito repellent: http://www.ehow.com/how_5665976_eat-sulfur-mosquito-repellent.html

Repel Ticks with This Sulfur Remedy

A tiny dab of sulfur mixed with molasses and taken in early spring will help to repel ticks.
August/September 2001

With Lyme's Disease so much in the news, I want to spread the good news  of how to repel ticks, thus preventing tick bites, that my great-grandfather taught our family long ago. A tiny dab of sulfur introduced into the human system early in spring is all that's needed.

Some pharmacists still keep some sulfur mixed up for sale. Many in the Pacific Northwest always had some for sheepherders, whose job required them to live among the ticks. As a forest lookout for six seasons, in a cabin overrun with ticks each summer, I kept wafers of sulfur mixed with cream of tartar on hand. Sometimes I could feel ticks crawl on me, but they never stuck — or bit me.

When I was growing up in East Texas, my dad, following my grandfather's recipe, mixed dry sulfur with wild honey or molasses and we all ate some. You have to mix it with something because sulfur tastes really icky.
• Mix one-eighth teaspoon of powdered sulfur with a little honey or molasses
• Take this mixture once a day for a week in early spring.
• The next week take it every other day.
• The next week take it every three days.
• Thereafter take the mixture once a month through tick season.

There were plenty of ticks around, but when we used this prevention, they sure didn't stick to us.

Read more: http://www.motherearthnews.com/print.aspx?id={FAFFCB05-0CC9-4ED6-B7...

Interesting Shawn. I wonder if the sulphur water, from the artesian well, that I drank everyday gave me some protection at Forty Mile Bend.  As most of you know, my job involves working with animals. Ticks will always jump off of a dead animal onto the nearest live warm body.

I've thought the same thing, growing up in Central Florida, I thought I had a natural tolerance of mosquitoes.  In Miami, I've found that to be untrue, whether because the salt marsh mosquitoes and glades mosquitoes are used to biting through gator and deer hides : ) or because I no longer drink sulfur water, I don't know.

So, next week's Crooked Creek trip is shaping up.

As I just wrote Pavel:

Theoretically (if bugs are not a problem), I'd like to do 3 nights, 4 days: leave Tuesday June 17 and return Friday the 20th.  This would give 2 full days to explore the banks of the New River for possible fort ruins and allow 2 "easy" travel days.

I just got off the phone with ENP/everglades City and they said no problem to 3 nights at Crooked Creek...but I can't reserve over the phone.  They don't think anyone will want to use the chickee, so it shouldn't be a problem to reserve Tuesday morning.

If any of you want to join Tuesday - ??? and stay 1 or 2 nights if 3 is too much, that would be fine - your company on the exploration of the New River would be welcome. 

If the bugs are bad, I may "bug out" early too.

If you're available Tuesday - Friday, great.  Lets plan.

I'm using an old town 16' canoe and can lug the water and cooler(s) if you are kayaking.  I like to camp comfortable, including ice and cold beer!

What time are you going to depart on Tuesday?  From where?

I'll stop at the Everglades City ENP office to fill out the backcountry at 9 AM and will likely leave from the marina on Chokoloskee.  They will let me park my jeep and watch it for ~$50 (if someone has a better idea, I'm all ears).  There's a kayak launch on the shoulder of the road and no signs prohibiting parking, but its not patrolled, so I don't know about the security of parking there 4 days.

You can always join us on the chickee on your own schedule, I just need people to message me so I know how many and not get overcrowded on the chickee.

Sent you a PM.

Here's the weather report so far:

Hi  86°F
Lo  75°F

Precip
30 %

Hi  85°F
Lo  75°F

Precip
40 %

AVERAGES

Hi  90°F
Lo  74°F

RECORDS

Hi  96°F
Lo  62°F

AVERAGES

Hi  90°F
Lo  75°F

RECORDS

Hi  95°F
Lo  66°F

the rain probability spikes at the above levels around 4 PM.

Here's the tidal projections:

2014-06-17  6:33 AM EDT   Sunrise
2014-06-17 12:56 PM EDT   0.71 feet  Low Tide<- this will be perfect for hitting Lopez River, which is about right if we get in the water by 10 AM
2014-06-17  5:57 PM EDT   3.39 feet  High Tide
2014-06-17  8:18 PM EDT   Sunset
2014-06-18  1:45 AM EDT   0.08 feet  Low Tide
2014-06-18  6:34 AM EDT   Sunrise
2014-06-18  7:17 AM EDT   3.10 feet  High Tide
2014-06-18  1:59 PM EDT   0.69 feet  Low Tide
2014-06-18  7:00 PM EDT   3.01 feet  High Tide
2014-06-18  8:19 PM EDT   Sunset
2014-06-19  2:31 AM EDT   0.34 feet  Low Tide
2014-06-19  6:34 AM EDT   Sunrise
2014-06-19  8:05 AM EDT   3.06 feet  High Tide <- good time to head back down Lopez River for those who can't stay til Friday?
2014-06-19  2:40 PM EDT   Last Quarter
2014-06-19  3:15 PM EDT   0.66 feet  Low Tide
2014-06-19  8:19 PM EDT   Sunset
2014-06-19  8:21 PM EDT   2.63 feet  High Tide <- my departure
2014-06-20  3:22 AM EDT   0.58 feet  Low Tide
2014-06-20  6:34 AM EDT   Sunrise
2014-06-20  9:00 AM EDT   3.06 feet  High Tide
2014-06-20  4:44 PM EDT   0.57 feet  Low Tide
2014-06-20  8:19 PM EDT   Sunset

Go out of Outdoor Resorts and let Kenny Brown the owner look after your car. It would be $10 per day to park at the marina overnight but call him to make sure about price. This will make the paddle to crooked creek much shorter too.
Thats who I talked to. Thx

Just to make things easier with tides..the current won't start back up or downriver for about 90 minutes. High and lows are slack times, making passage easier but not the easiest you can get!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service