Everglades Exploration Network

Today we drove around the loop looking for potential kayak launch sites. The airboat launch at Mitchell Landing looked promising. We were hoping to reach Lostman's Slough or another potential route. Has anyone gone that way recently?

Does anyone have info on Dayhoff Slough? We also looked at the L67 Canal as a route. Are there any publications or resources covering the water flow in the area?

There is a lot of water on the ground right now. We hope to explore the area during the next cold front, assuming it comes our way soon. Any tips would be very welcome routes, resources, warnings, etc.

Distance without obstructions is not an issue for us. Twenty-five plus miles of open passage is pretty average for one of our day paddles. Realistically though, obstructed passages change the dynamics of travel so overnights are definitely viable. We have moderate backcountry experience, mostly on the 10K and Florida Bay/Flamingo areas. Now I'm looking to fill my craving for deep backcountry exploration. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, yeah, ultimate destination is the Gulf side, Willy Willy, Camp Lonesome, Canepatch. Not all at once but eventually.

Thanks a million for any help!

Views: 639

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

On the other end of that spectrum is the 1/8th mile it took me 4 hours to get through in the 'tunnel' at the end of the Broad River last December while we were looking for the Lost Portage. I use the term 'tunnel' very loosely. This was the 'dreaded wall of thick mangroves' Terry talks about. When I finally gave up and crawled out of there I was black with mud and mangrove bark from head to toe, and I had enough broken wood in my canoe to keep a respectable campfire going for a night. Don't even want to talk about the spiders. Nice to know that route has been ruled out and we won't have to do that one again.
It's always good when you're getting ready to launch & LE shows up, looks at you funny for not having a big prop on the back of your boat and says that this may not be a good idea because it's too thick to paddle and there's only grass & no water so airboats can power through, but kayaks probably won't be able to go much further than the pond...

and then you launch anyways,do it & have a BLAST!

Paddled out of Mitchells today for a shorty, a little over 2 miles, just enough to see what Keith was talking about when he says the loop in Summer is the way to truly enjoy the park...

He was right! It was spectacular. I would only daytrip it I'm not stupid brave enough to see what the evenings look like. We had no bug problems, but I can imagine as the sun goes down, the angels start partying!

Here's the GE of our route.

The begining is tough because the veg in the airboat trail is pretty dense (particularly on the west side of the loop), but then it opens up to mostly spike rush & with the water as deep as it was, the paddling was easy, we had a great time and could see plenty of options for venturing further, but were short on time and were a bit beat from the thick stuff (OK...so the ranger wasn't totally wrong). We will go back, this area is too cool, but next time we'll probably fly airbaot flags to avoid being hit for being too low in the water.

This place has many options, but I would stick to the places the fan boys have opened up for us...the grass & cypress off trail get pretty thick! But the topos & aerials show lots of cleared options.

I LOVE HIGH WATER PADDLING IN THE GRASS!

The Big Cypress...it's not just for winter anymore...
"High water paddling in the grass"??
Pine Island to Nine Mile Pond the best one day slough trip and no airboat worries.
In fact, you've really got this area to yourself - paddling in grass for the whole trip.
Check out water stations 252110080362300, Paradise Key, right now it's +1.45 and
251338080421500, Craigheads Pond, currently at a whopping +.35!
I paddled this route when the water level at Paradise Key was +1.4 and 0.0 at Craigheads Pond
and there was plenty of water. I never got my feet wet and the Craigheads Pond area
was wide open with an additional .35 of a foot it would be that much better.
where do you put in? When do you wanna go!?!
I wish I knew how to copy photos to this site like you do, I have about a dozen good
photos of the trip. My partner on that trip took photos and put them in a thing called
Photobucket but I don't have a clue how to post some here.
You want to pull me into the heat of summer canoeing? ...we are getting close,
I started paddling on the last weekend in September last year. I remember the
torture trip you dragged me on last month, at least this one I could guarantee staying in
the canoe. We both know some other fools who'd like in on a Taylor Slough trip. Maybe
a group paddle after the first hint of a cool front? Hmmm...gotta think on this.
try clicking here for the photobucket...

What's this I dragged you stuff?!?!

If I remember correctly, you did all the dragging for the last 50 yards!
Photos in Photobucket, first row, left to right:
1) Some where down near the southern end along the trail.
2) One of a couple of thick spots (it could be pushed through without getting
out of the canoe.
3 + 5) The opening coming into Nine Mile Pond.
4) Along the stretch between Craigheads Pond and Nine Mile Pond.
6) Lunch halfway down the slough.
7) Some where in the slough.
Second row, left to right:
1) Nearing the eastern most point in the Nine Mile Pond loop.
2) The Craigheads Pond water station.
3) The canal running from the slough up to Ernest Coe Campsite.
4) Birds
5) Another thick spot.
6+7) Looking out over Craigheads Pond.

Required reading material: www.gladesgodeep.ning.com
forum: "Off-trail Backcountry Exploration"
discussion: "Taylor Slough" top of the second page

These posts on Taylor Slough should probably be moved over to Taylor Slough,
Keith will probably manage that.
...torture trip...

What a bunch of wimps. Terry looked like he could use the exercise so I let him drag my canoe for that last little stretch, then I sent him back to get yours, but I told him to make sure that you were in the boat while he was pulling. You let him off way too easy by walking the rest of the way.

:-P
I tried canoeing the Mitchells airboat trail in July but the water was too low. The rains must have raised levels since then.

What is so terrible about spending the night in the Cypress in summer? It's not like I'm lying naked in the grass letting the bugs chew me up. Here is my setup:

• Nice big tent with plenty of air flow for sleeping
  • O2Cool fan with plenty of spare batteries
  • Screen tent and comfy chair for relaxing with a cold brew
  • Cabela's super deluxe shower tent with 5 gal. shower bag
  • PETT portable chemical toilet (use it in the shower tent)
  • Cooler full of cold foods (no cooking except to boil water for coffee in the morning)

Who could ask for anything more? It's actually worse in the daytime when the sun is out and the deer flies and horseflies are active.
Oh dear, I think you missed the generator, satellite dish and plasma TV. Maybe add a massage seat for your canoe too. : )

Now boys, if you wouldn't mind bringing a girl along, I'm available. So, who drags my boat? Oh, right, I do.
For those of you that are interested, the FWC has issued an executive order, which will close zones 3 and 4 of the Stairsteps Unit of the Big Cypress Wildlife Management Area to the harvest of deer for the 2010-2011 hunting season. The order will be effective prior to the archery season and will remain in place for one year.
http://www.myfwc.com/NEWSROOM/10/south/News_10_S_DeerBigCypress.htm

There will be no deer hunting south of the Loop Road this year due to the dramatic decline of deer and other wildlife. The area supports some very large pythons. You are asked to please kill them, note the GPS coordinates and bring the carcass to the FMB check station. Also report any dead or sick deer in the area.

"Since 2001, the deer population has undergone a steady and significant decline. 393 deer were counted in 2001 during a summer survey conducted in Zone 4 of the Stairsteps Unit, and those numbers have declined to 18 in 2009 with only 4 deer being seen during the spring 2010 survey."

"The exact cause or causes of the deer decline are unknown at this time, but likely factors include predation and habitat changes that may be limiting recruitment. Hunting is not the cause, but at these low population levels, it is only prudent to reduce the sources of mortality over which we have some management control. Any additional mortality under these conditions could make it more difficult for the population to recover, if and when conditions improve"

Access to the area will remain open but consequently you may not encounter as many airboats at Mitchells Landing this year. http://www.myfwc.com/recreation/Deer_StairstepFAQs.htm
...generator, satellite dish and plasma TV...

Well, I generally go into the Cypress to get away from those kinds of things, but that massage seat doesn't sound too bad.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service