Everglades Exploration Network

River of Grass flows again into Everglades National Park

River of Grass flows again into Everglades National Park

A backhoe breaks through the roadbed of the old Tamiami Trail

Views: 2035

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I dont know why I lost the WSVN link to the newscast so I found a U tube video on Ron Bergerons attempt's to save the Everglades north of Tamiami Trail.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieil4acYdOk   Like he says, high water is a natural event in the Everglades but its the duration that kills.   The gate needs to be opened period. He doesnt mention it but its not just the animals we are losing but the islands as well.  As the trees die, so goes the island.  The area will support little wildlife without the islands.

I notice the conversation on the benefit of high water for paddlers. This is not an acceptable trade off.  Its  unfathomable for me to even consider any benefit that could come from such purposeful destruction. .  

Dale the discussion of high water paddling is south of 41. The problem gator Ron is talking about is north of 41.

Need to move water south to dry out the areas & get water into the park, for playing.

Better for all... As long as not too much for the park to handle.

The practical problem is that 41 isn't high enough. That's what the current roadwork is about.

Yes I know but I didnt realize that 41 was not high enough yet. Are you certain?  That wasnt mentioned and it would explain why the flood gate remains closed. But if the overall plan is to continue impounding water north of 41 to release south "as needed", I am against this practice.  I am against sacrificing the north for the south. Hopefully we can store water in the Lake and the reservoirs, not in the Glades.

When the water is high, airboats and hunting is always prohibited because of the stress on the wildlife. I guess paddling is not as damaging. Its just hard for me to think of any benefit coming from this disaster. But I have no problem with canoeing in a disaster area. But like I said I am dead against sacrificing the north for the south. This is not an acceptable trade off. We need to preserve the entire Everglades not just the southern part of it.

When the road is finished and the reservoirs are completed, I hope the high water impoundment north of 41 will stop before it causes any more irreversable damage to the islands..  I will be driving out in a few weeks. I will check it out. 

yakmaster said:

Dale the discussion of high water paddling is south of 41. The problem gator Ron is talking about is north of 41.

Need to move water south to dry out the areas & get water into the park, for playing.

Better for all... As long as not too much for the park to handle.

The practical problem is that 41 isn't high enough. That's what the current roadwork is about.

The flood gate west of the Oceola camp was recently built. It seems to me that the water will never flow naturally and there is nothing to celebrate until its removal.

We did the Noble Hammock to Still Creek to West Lake paddle on Sunday. We got a late start at about 2:15pm and arrived at West Lake ramp at about 7:00pm. Water levels were indeed high. Bugs were pretty minimal considering the time of year. Salinity was basically zero even out into West Lake. The weather was nice and cloudy for the most part and we didn't get any rain. We had to find our own way through a couple of sections towards the end of Still Creek as the jungle had grown over some parts. I'll post some photos as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for the information and motivational words. I attached a picture of the 'scenic branch' at the end of Still Creek so you can see where the water level was.

Terry said:

High water is always a good thing for paddlers, the only high water issue for Still Creek is you

might have to lift your boat around that photogenic big branch in the Chute.  I'll bet there's South Floruda

style rapids in the Chute just before you pop out in West Lake.  However, my son says

the bugs are bad down at Flamingo, might be a saltwater thing.

But it's just so damn hot for paddling a boat.   Whatever, do it and report back to us.

If I was young enough to brave the heat I'd go for the highest elevation during this high water, Still Creek

can be paddled at low water, save it for after January.    A Taylor Slough run would be perfect or paddling

around Shark Slough up near L-67.

Dallas said:

Terry,

I was considering doing the Noble Hammock to Still Creek to West Lake run this weekend. Do you think it is a bad idea as far as water levels and bugs are concerned?

Best,

Dallas

Terry said:

We've been mapping East Everglades for the last couple of weekends and the water is definitely low for this

time of year around Chekika and north.   Evidently they have not opened up some gates north

of Tamiami Trail to let the water flow through the new bridge.

I understand the hesitation.

Too much water in the Everglades NP just shifts environmental problems from northern areas to the south.

There's already too much water going out the canals, Biscayne NP has never-seen-before

algae blooms in Biscayne Bay.  And we're only in early August with a system just to our east today.

Interestingly they are pumping plenty of water in Taylor Slough - down at the other end, Nine Mile Pond

and Noble Hammock the water is higher than it's ever been.

Environmental concerns aside, we might be in for some of the best slough paddling for years come

the cooler weather of October and November.   Stay tuned.

Attachments:

I need to get a better canoe. Im missing all the fun. Keith says I wouldnt get very far with my little fiberglass canoe I use in the swamp.  But maybe I will try.

Dallas, did you do any fishing? I was wondering if west lake was worth spending a day in fishing this time of year but also assumed water would be too fresh.

Dale, you are missing the fun! Get that canoe out you would love Terry's trips.

I didn't bring any rods that day. I probably should have as there were some large bass around Noble Hammock and down towards the end of Still Creek. I'm not sure how fishing at West Lake would be right now.  I fished it in May and I went through all of my tackle without a bite. It was either an off day/season or I brought the wrong stuff. I would love to get back into those backwaters and get some of those bass I saw though.

And have I got some plans for the up coming season!

Some of these trips for the 2013-14 season even

surprise me.   We're gonna paddle where?  How?

Can that be done?   Mixed in with the old favorites.

And, of course, most will be black diamond or

double black diamond routes, paddling from

dawn to dusk.  Stay tuned,

Saturdays starting in October.

Thanks, I have had similar experience there and have not returned since. Maybe next winter!

I posted at the wrong thread so Im re-posting it here. I drove out the other day and the raising of the Tamiami Trail seems to be completed and I didnt stop one single time from 20 mile bend to Dades Corners, coming back to town.  There were a few stops travelling west in the morning but absolutely no stops or speed bumps going east in the evening.  I think that another bridge will be built but Im not really sure when. The water in the canal was extremely high. Its about the highest I ever saw. I didnt stop to look but I would imagine this means that the flood gate is open.

Why is the canal water so high? I thought it was supposed to be flowing underneath the bridge? I pulled over on the bridge to look over and see the flow but I really could not tell what was happening. It appeared to be flowing west but this must have been the winds.Surely its flowing better than the old culverts. Maybe its just too much water with no place to go?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service