Everglades Exploration Network

River of Grass flows again into Everglades National Park

River of Grass flows again into Everglades National Park

A backhoe breaks through the roadbed of the old Tamiami Trail

Views: 2034

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I heard the US Army Corp is getting funding next year for raising the next 5.5 miles of Tamiami Trail up onto bridges. The other item under study is the refining of the hydraulic flow models so the prediction of canal water height to downstream depth and horizontal flow is more accurate.

I like the sound of this!

Terry said:

And have I got some plans for the up coming season!

Some of these trips for the 2013-14 season even

surprise me.   We're gonna paddle where?  How?

Can that be done?   Mixed in with the old favorites.

And, of course, most will be black diamond or

double black diamond routes, paddling from

dawn to dusk.  Stay tuned,

Saturdays starting in October.

Below is a link to emergency measures SFWMD are taking to lower the water levels.  Let the water flow

http://www.sfwmd.gov/portal/page/portal/xrepository/sfwmd_repositor...

Guess the L-67 culverts weren't enough, so they blew the road!!!

Excellent, more water down the L-67, More water on Main Street!!!

When we paddled the slough in November, they had already made the cut, Here's Flex's picture of it.

Shark River Slough Everglades expedition camping River of Grass kayakfari Flex Maslan marshall foundation kayak canoe sawgrass L67 levee canal 67 us41

"This temporary culvert “creek” has been cut to allow excess water from WCA-3A to drain into the L-67 Ext canal pictured below. Water levels were unusually high with strong flow." said Flex back in the day

Before they made the cut we saw in November, it looked like this

Don't know if they're talking about the old cut, to make it look like they're proactive, or if the expanded the cut...

Went out to the L-67. It's open & FLOWING!  Not to big a cut, but plenty of flow.

The bigger cut was the big bridge, all the road underneath has been removed, but they still have the floating booms in place. Wasn't able to get down low to see if it's flowing, and didn't get any pictures.

But I got some pictures of the little cut, you can see the flow. I was tempted to ride it south...but then you have to fight it north:

Rumor the water is flowing good down canals but not so much under the new Tamiami Trail bridge.  Maybe its just rumor.

Well, the booms under the bridge are still up and the water (or wind, can't tell) has them up against the grass, so hopefully when they remove the plastic...the water will flow there too.

I was over by Chekika on Saturday and the water was pretty high, but not real high considering all the rain we've gotten lately.

What's interesting, if you look at the old aerial I posted a while back

They replaced the culverts with the new bridge, but they closed off the old bridge (over to the west) that they had before...

So they've increased the flow to the canal & reduced the direct flow into the grass 

The station to use for the top of Shark Slough is 02290862 (NP202)

which is where NP202 Hammock gets it's name.   As mentioned before

you need to get to this is the hammock just off of L-67 to pickup the airboat trail.

Currently that station is at +6.75, just for reference, when you guys went down the slough

last November it was +6.50.  Personally, I'd like to see a break in the heat then

it's paddle time.

Where is the aerial Yakmaster? Is that south of the Trail? Im going by that way today or tonite.

It's on the south side of the trail at L-67 extension.

OK thanks

yakmaster said:

It's on the south side of the trail at L-67 extension.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service