Everglades Exploration Network

I would like to introduce myself to the discussion group. My name is Mike Jester and I am the facility manager at Everglades National Park. It appears there is much misinformation about the camping structures and yes, I agree they are not as user friendly as those found in other areas of the park. What you may not know is the design of the structures was the result of having to obtain environmental permits/permission from the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, Corps of Engineers, U.S. Fish and Wildlife, U.S. Coast Guard and the National Marine Fisheries. Bottom line, we were required to raise the structures to a minimum of five feet about mean high water, provide one inch spacing between deck boards, orient the structure east to west and relocate the proposed Umbrella Key chickee futher away from the Tin Can Channel to Shark Point (much shallower water). Unfortunately, the park was unaware of these requirements when we were conducting public meetings to get input for future uses in the park. The agencies which oversee these activities have responsibility for the protection of critical habitats associated with threatened and endangered species and safe navigation for the boating public. In order obtain the permits to construct the campsites, the park had the choice of making the required changes or not constructing the camp sites, which I must assume would have fructrated our visitors more than having the existing facilities. So, where do we go from here?

Views: 2659

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Those are really great pictures, Flex.

You know, when I started the Shark Point discussion, it was intended as merely a slightly amusing, mildly self-deprecating trip report/story with a cautionary tale about getting accurate info and not showing-up at an unfamiliar campsite with darkness falling (not to mention the storm). It has morphed into a wide-ranging set of discussions about chickee design in general, park politics, and where paddlers fit into the system. I learned a lot I didn't know before, so thanks everyone!

Now, since I've already heard this reference used a couple of times -- as a fully-fledged and bona-fide (ahem) "rocket scientist" and inveterate paddler, let me tackle the hoisting issue.

If you have a plastic or poly boat - no worries, as they are practically indestructible. The only problem is having the padeyes pull-out of the bow and stern, since in most production boats they are riveted in. You can reinforce them with material underneath - either fiberglass, plastic, or aluminum. What I did on my craft was to use stainless eyebolts on the canoes, and U-bolts on the kayaks, with washers or stainless stock underneath. This is overkill, but I'm a strong believer in bomb-proof hardware that I don't have to think twice about - this really helped a lot on my recent Shark Point adventure with the waves and wind banging the boats around so badly.

If you have a fiberglass or composite/Kevlar craft, you are probably still OK, but you need to make certain the load is evenly distributed fore-and-aft, and remove the heaviest items like water jugs, etc. to prevent the boat "oil-canning", or worse yet, folding in the middle as you lift. The caution about the padeyes will applies, but on these boats they tend to be better anchored. Still, a quick peek belowdecks with a mirror will tell you a lot about how they are fastened-in, and some reinforcement will only add a few ounces, but provide great peace-of-mind.

Of course, if it's newer boat, you can always contact the manufacturer and see what they think. I'll do a little digging on-line today and see what I can come up with.

toofaraway:

Thank you all for your input. We hear what you had to say and will be making some modifications to the chickees very soon. I can't respond to each of you individually but to summarize, these are the changes we intend to pursue.

• lifting pulleys, lines and cradle for canoes/kayaks (both on deck and under deck)
  • handrails (not around the whole perimeter to provide access)
  • additional hand/step holds near port-o-let walkway
  • step access to ladders

Regarding the permitting process, you don't want to know what you don't know. There is no way around it and it is something we deal with on many different issues related to development in a protected wetland. A particularly interesting point in the process was when we proposed a campsite  near Umbrella Key (and Tin Can Channel). The USCG responded with the requirement to place a flashing white beacon on top of the structure since it would be an "obstruction" to navigation. While this sounds ridiculous an was obviously a "no go" for the park, the USCG is responsible for waterway safety.

There was a concern in regard to having to elevate more chickees in the park. This will not be the case unless more campsites are developed in Florida Bay. We have to conduct a benthic survey for each platform placed in the park. The murky waters found north of Florida Bay are not conducive to the development of seagrasses, therefore, no requirement to minimize shading.

You are correct. Seas get quite high during winter cold fronts and not to mention tropical storms. The chickees were designed to withstand tropical storms. I have no expectation of these structures survivinig hurricane events.

Thank you so much for your time and input Michael. Due to the information we have learned  from you ( and I will be willing to pass it along to other Everglades paddlers I may meet) we can avoid speculating what will or will not be in the future for chickees.

That alone might mitigate our whining!

A nav beacon?   Seriously, Mike?   And I thought NASA had needless beaurocracy!   Perhaps a strobe light too, so a passing aircraft doesn't snag it?  
Despite the tongue-in-cheek, I also really appreciate the time you've taken to provide all your input.  As you're aware, we paddlers want to tread lightly and minimize our impact while we enjoy one of our country's best Parks.  We definitely appreciate your efforts, along with those of the other Park managers! 

I think he specifically mentioned Tin Can Channel because of the high powerboat traffic in that channel.  As you know, the new flats boats can run in very shallow water, making a chickee near a channel a legitimate danger.

Mike, thank you for your help on these issues! 

TFA

Seattle

You know... once upon a time I thought (there I go thinking again) that you weren't supposed to operate inside the NPS boundary after sunset?   I ask this because I've been camped at Nest Key and been lit up by spotlights from passing boats in the middle of the night.  Mike - you would know the answer to this...
no way is there a rule against operating at night in the park
Answers my own question - it's actually landing on Nest Key that's prohibited at night.  
The waters of the park are open 24/7 other than areas which are always closed to the public.
Thanks for clarifying that, Mike.  I was thinking about bringing a shallow draft sailboat down in April and would have to anchor overnight between Nest Key and Little Rabbit somewhere, so nice to know that's a option.   Still... it dismays me that anyone would try to run Tin Can channel during night at anything but dead slow... 
Thanks, Michael. I think those Bay chickees are probably the best (skeeter-wise) options in the Park for warm-weather camping. A little drafty in the winter for my taste, but the view is great!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service