Everglades Exploration Network

I have a mind to try and reach Robert's Lakes Strand from the Gator Hook Trail on the Monroe Station leg of the Loop. I know the Fl. Scenic Trail runs through the Strand on the eastern end but I have yet to hear of anybody coming in from the west. The first couple of miles of the old Gator Hook logging tram that runs southeast off the Loop has been cleared, but it's all wild after that. The line of the tram is still evident after the cleared path runs out, and I was able to follow it for about another half-mile but it gets pretty boggy in places. Anybody else have any info on this route?

Views: 16925

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The park didnt take over until about 1978. This tram is much older. I dont remember talk about preserving the area until the jetport was built.

You're correct - this is Big Cypress PRESERVE...not Everglades National PARK.  My bad.  But the 1940 aerial clearly shows the tram and logging had not taken place as of 1940.

Here is a close up of the 1940 aerial showing the center of what would become the W gator hook tram/trail.  I've circled the area that should be the karst limestone surface, still covered in vegetation (as it appears to be today).  The white spot on the 1953 may be a blemish on the picture or may be exposed limestone due to equipment movement.

Another thing to think about is that the 1953 picture shows spur lines extending down into the cypress strand from the 2nd leg of the W.  these spurs may be the source of the ties we encountered south of the main tram and not just floating ties...

Yes its possible. Its also very possible that the lost pump camp lies on one of these spurs. How old is this tram?

The tram was built sometime after 1940 and before 1953

Researching it now, interesting tidbits (read the comments) on "Gator" Roberts after whom the lakes are named:

http://photojournalclydeniki.blogspot.com/2009/05/gator-hooka-littl...

shawn beightol said:

The tram was built sometime after 1940 and before 1953

Thanks for posting the aerial photographs. I think the exposed limestone in the 1953 photo along with the Brazilian Peppers shows that the area was cleared by the logging company and should be part of the trail. Its above the water line and its no worse footing than at the beginning.

Here is Christina's facebook page "Blazing Gatorhook".  

https://www.facebook.com/events/582230861904105/597913780335813/?no...

shawn beightol said:

Here is a close up of the 1940 aerial showing the center of what would become the W gator hook tram/trail.  I've circled the area that should be the karst limestone surface, still covered in vegetation (as it appears to be today).  The white spot on the 1953 may be a blemish on the picture or may be exposed limestone due to equipment movement.

My guess is Lee Tidewater Co built this tram in the late 40s to early 50s before 1953 picture:

Take a look at page 9 of the attached pdf (page 152 by Nat'l Geographics numbering):

Attachments:

I often wandered around the area at the center of the W.  There are oak flats to the north and flag ponds to the south along with fern forests.. You can find large sections of bald cypress tree tops still lying in the swamp on the south side. Apparently they discarded the tree tops because of the branches which would leave knotholes in the planks. These discarded tree tops are large enough to walk on. I have also found a few large trees. Im not sure why they were not cut.

If you look for the pump island, Richard, you will need to pass through pond apples south of the trail and cross a flag pond to reach it as its surrounded by water as far as I remember. We used to skirt the edge to stay out of the deepest parts..The only clue I have is the 1989-90 photo which was immediately before the reaching the island.  Its not far from the tram. I just cant find it. Best to wait for the dry season but we used to go in November/December.

Here is a gator hook I found years ago tied to an overhanging tree trunk with chain and swivel.

Cummer & Sons in the Hammond excerpt above sound like a better option for who built the Gator Hook tram.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service