Everglades Exploration Network

I have a mind to try and reach Robert's Lakes Strand from the Gator Hook Trail on the Monroe Station leg of the Loop. I know the Fl. Scenic Trail runs through the Strand on the eastern end but I have yet to hear of anybody coming in from the west. The first couple of miles of the old Gator Hook logging tram that runs southeast off the Loop has been cleared, but it's all wild after that. The line of the tram is still evident after the cleared path runs out, and I was able to follow it for about another half-mile but it gets pretty boggy in places. Anybody else have any info on this route?

Views: 16925

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A year and a half ago, Dale said this: "I dont believe the north route or the south route should be used. I believe we need to bust straight thru the center and stay on the elevated tram. Its the most direct route, the dryest, and the NPS preferred route. I actually got lost coming and going on the south route. Someone unfamiliar with the area will not be able to follow the trail. This will need to be fixed. Its also imperative that the trail goes thru the Holey Rock center of the W.  If a hiker cannot find the elevated center W, they will not be able to access the shady trail that goes thru the cocoplum tunnels, solution holes, hammocks and rock ridges."

Today, he, his friend Richard, and I blazed across the white limestone cap in the center of the W!  We worked ahead of the FTA trail maintenance crew to ensure the trail blazing would dovetail into and be true to the original tram route.

A beautiful day!

some older cypress:

Yes, we made some progress. Im only assuming across the higher ground, following the original tram, is the NPS preferred route. The tram is historic and in my opinion the Gator Hook Trail should be true to the original tram route wherever possible.  But we will need to coordinate with Christina when they get that far.   I havent studied the coordinates yet and its certainly not finished but they are good to go at least to the 2 mile mark on the kiosk. It takes much time and patience to find the railroad ties to stay true and its hard to spend the time needed because it takes so long to reach the center. Its great to see those concerned donating time.. Many volunteer workers showed up to help.

The first part of the trail is treacherous. Its becoming compacted and dug out from all the foot traffic and in some places getting wider. Could the NPS lay down some pea rock on this path, to fill the holes, until it reaches the elevated sections? 

Richard sent me our trail to the 2.4 mile mark through the "center of the W" . I am just looking at it now.  It needs a little tweeking but not too bad. Parts of it are a tad south. Some areas are just too thick or treacherous and may need to be avoided.

I'm ready to go back in and follow the straight line as indicated in Red.  Now that I know what you are doing, we can set up the waypoints and do this mathematically ; )

You may be able to see it from the air but its very hard to find on the ground. 

yeah, I was there scrounging for railroad ties and long forgotten cleared paths.

My GPS track was lost due to F$#!@ android crash...I had the spare but it wasn't tracking...just there to assist in getting out if the main died (as it did).

I believe Richard's track shows the lower circumvention of the dense understory around the limestone cap, then the upper route with the dagger-like thrust to the 4 oclock position (SE) was the distraction of the older and mistaken ribbons - or maybe that was when you and he cut through the brush to me?

Richard stayed East of us while we were walking back and forth on what we thought was the tram - it had railroad ties around it...but they could have floated there.  We may have been north along the red line but we do not have my track.

It appears the karst limestone cap did not require ties to support the rail - there were no ties visible around the cap.

The bump must be where we stopped to rest at the "bench builder's camp".

I think we have already busted through the limestone cap area (red circle) with the Hollies.  This limestone path may have holes but at least its above water and level.  All we need to do is continue looking for ties and marking the rest of the path better with ribbons. We should wait for Christina with her expertise to cut the path later. After its blazed, she can remove the ribbons.

It appears the karst limestone cap did not require ties to support the rail - there were no ties visible around the cap.

Yes, I acknowlege its off trail.  This whole tram section was originally made at ground level I believe. You could probably find more ties in the muck. I didnt look.  Yes some ties have floated south. This section dips south because it used to be part of my trail to the lost pump island/possible loggers camp in the 80's. And its a very nice scenic trail thats easy to follow with good footing.  It skirts the edge of a Pond Apple forest and gives hikers a chance to see the different habitats.. Look closely and you can see the pond at the most southern point.  This is probably the closest point to the camp island. If we can ever rediscover this lost island, it would be a great resting/camping spot...high and dry with a deep water pump and mature Paradise trees to tie hammocks. The lost island is within your yellow circle. Its so close but yet out of reach.  But i have no objection if you wish to straighten it. And it probably should be done before Christina reaches it.  Its just that there is so much more work to do just before and after the 2.4 mark that I have been overlooking this. 

shawn beightol said:

Next time we make it out there I'd like to spend some time trying to find that pump island. I didn't realize it was so close. Would also like to break through the strand and see what the tram road looks like beyond.

Just to juice it up a bit, here's a 1940 aerial of the same Gator Hook strand.  I've placed them next to and over each other for various comparisons.  They are aligned and scaled as nearly identical as I could.

It is interesting to note that both agricultural and logging activity seems to have occurred in very rapid time (13 years) since 1940.

My guess is that discussion of NPS takeover accelerated the interest in extracting timber and perhaps proving to the Feds that the land was in commercial use (did they believe if they worked the land it would be exempted?).

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service