Everglades Exploration Network

I have a mind to try and reach Robert's Lakes Strand from the Gator Hook Trail on the Monroe Station leg of the Loop. I know the Fl. Scenic Trail runs through the Strand on the eastern end but I have yet to hear of anybody coming in from the west. The first couple of miles of the old Gator Hook logging tram that runs southeast off the Loop has been cleared, but it's all wild after that. The line of the tram is still evident after the cleared path runs out, and I was able to follow it for about another half-mile but it gets pretty boggy in places. Anybody else have any info on this route?

Views: 16925

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So you found the old well?!?

Excellent, even if it's capped!

Terry stole my tire before I could refind it.

No, yakmaster, unfortunately I have not yet found the old well. I believe it may be on one of the old spurs. The capped pipe in the photo with the family is the new well at the bench builders camp. Someone removed the pump. The old well will still be the way I left it, with a green bucket over the top, I am certain, if we can ever locate it.

Yes I agree its one of the most beautiful trails in the Everglades region. The FTA blazed the first 2 miles to the benches. I tied the ribbons thrugh the tropical jungle, Dallas, along with Shawn, Bill, Keith, Richard and others because I didnt want to lose the trail I created.  Its a cool trail right? I used part of my old 80s trail that goes to the lost pump island and I tried to use high ground where possible and circumvent the deep water areas. . I tied some ribbons on the east end too where its open country but the sun fades them. Its still a work in progress and I would like to see the last NE leg blazed.  A team of volunteers can work west from the Florida Trail blue trail. That last section will not be hard to maintain. But it should be put exactly on tram IMO as the NPS intended to preserve the historic route.

Dallas said:

Hi Dale,

The trail was very well marked up to the benches (there were blazes on the trees all the way out). After that, the trail was pretty well marked with ribbons (nice job to whoever put those up, it was much easier than the last time I did it in 2012). I'd say the hardest part to stay on the trail was the last 'leg' of the 'W' heading NE from Gator Hook Strand to the FT (or 'blue trail' as it is now known). Since it was so wet, it was almost impossible to see where the trail was by looking at 'the ground'. Most of the time you could you see a narrow corridor between the cypress trees but in sections you have to either go through or around some thicker cocoplum which makes it hard to find the trail again. It was a very strenuous walk with the water up to knee in some parts and no dry spots to stop or take off your pack after leaving Gator Hook Strand. I actually did it again the following weekend with a buddy who is in special forces and even he said it was tough walking. Both times we camped on the dry mound/knoll in Robert's Lakes Strand around where the trail turns south towards Loop Road. I had an otter circling around my camp in the morning on the on my first hike. I still believe that it is one of the prettiest parts of the Everglades. 

I just purchased yellow ribbon here in Immokalee to stay within the yellow trail color scheme. The Gator Hook area holds some of the cleanest water.

Dale, You did a good job with the trail through Gator Hook Strand. It took a lot of turns and passed through some interesting scenery. I enjoyed the Gumbo Limbo and Oak trees. I did not expect to see them back there. When I 'broke through' a few years ago it was more of a struggle to find a way out while still maintaining some sort of bearing.

Thanks. Yea I agree it passes through some unique and interesting habitat and its no longer a struggle. We used the path of least resistance but now it needs a little tweeking but its probably the best path through the middle. I like the short corduroy road section with the ponds on each side. I also like the oaks and gumbo-limbos. Its all good. I may try to look for some more high ground, using the original tram where it still exists, and eliminate some of the very mucky sections. Its not a beginners trail and it never will be.

The manmade corduroy road section I speak of is at the 2.5 mile mark exactly as shown on the NPS kiosk. After that I located railroad ties but the tram appears to be washed out. But there is a ridge.. I dont know if the ridge is natural or manmade but I used it to get through the forest to the breakout where the canopy is open and will be easier to locate.

Im planning on heading out for a one day trip to the Gator Hook Trail this Saturday February 14 for what will probably be my last trip of the season.  I want to make sure the trail is clearly marked through the center, at least to the 2.4 mile mark as shown on the kiosk. I have obtained some yellow ribbons to stay color coordinated. This is not a beginners trail. Anyone interested? Meet me at 7:30 AM at the trailhead.  

I had some trouble at work and unfortunately I wasn't able to make the trip today. I don't think anyone was going anyway and Valentines Day was a bad choice. I will be making the trip tomorrow morning about 7-8 am at the trailhead.

I was out tying ribbons on the trail Sunday and its marked well from the bench builders camp almost to the first lake of Roberts Lakes.  Any hiker should have no trouble following the trail. I spent the entire day. I tweeked the trail a bit,

straightening it where needed and following the historic existing trail as much as possible.

Thanks Dale, that should make it easier to stay on trail for the last NE section

Dale said:

I was out tying ribbons on the trail Sunday and its marked well from the bench builders camp almost to the first lake of Roberts Lakes.  Any hiker should have no trouble following the trail. I spent the entire day. I tweeked the trail a bit,

straightening it where needed and following the historic existing trail as much as possible.

Finally got a chance today to make this trip. What a great hike. The water levels are as low as they get right now. If you've been thinking about trying this hike I highly recommend it. Here is a shot showing the dry condition currently in Robert's Lake Strand. Note the gator trails.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service