Everglades Exploration Network

I have always fished and camped in the back country mostly lostmans and willy willy .Trying to get as far back in the creeks as possible in my fishing boat . The whole time wondering what's behind the trees . I knew old timers traveled from salt to saw grass but as thick as the growth is in the back of those creeks I thought it was a thing of the past. till I found this network I thought that country was untouched . So this past week end I took off Friday and hauled my yak in the big boat to willy willy and set out for the grass . Went a long ways back but was unable to find a passage to go all the way through . I don't know why but coconut hammock is my goal just looks good on google earth I guess . If any body has info on that area I would love to talk about it

Views: 620

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

correct, if you go to the big cypress ORV site, you can get the same trails on Garmin or Google Earth.

Jr said:

Hell yea nice map I assume the c with the # beside it are camp sites are they dry spots or tie a hammock above the water sites

I love the NPS and I love that they have preserved the area for future generations to enjoy but unfortunately we need to keep fighting them in the courts. We are losing our recreational rights that were in the original Congressional Mandate when the preserve was created. The key here is the landowners/hunters gave up their land to create something unique. Its called a National Preserve and not to be confused with a National Park.

Entire areas are now off limits because of the Cape Sable Seaside Sparrow. The locals call it the "Tweety Bird". Airboaters can no longer access huge areas because of the bird and the newly implemented designated trail system. We are supposed to be able to primitive camp anywhere in the preserve but now we all are limited to designated campsites in the Starsteps 4 area you speak of..

We are losing our Congressional rights one chunk at a time. Members of this forum may not care about private landowners rights or airboaters rights but after the NPS gets rid of the hunters, landowners and airboaters, you will be next in line. The wildlife in the Stairsteps 4 area has already mysteriously disappeared and its rumored that the park service has somehow had a hand in it. The NPS claims they are not zookeepers but I think they should take some responsibility for the disappearance of all mammalian wildlife across the board in this area. . FWC also needs to step up to the plate and do more investigating this mystery.. All we have now is is reptiles. Even the panthers have moved on because there is no food supply in the Big Cypress Stairsteps areas 3 & 4.. I witnessed hawks dropping dead out of the sky. I hear rumor that locals are fed up and ready to take their plight to the media.

For now recreational airboaters are allowed to use the area as long as you stay on the trail and use designated campsites chosen by the NPS. The Tweety Bird area is closed to airboaters. I believe this forum is for self propelled only so we are not supposed to talk about the airboaters plight. This is not an airboaters forum. But just letting you know because you asked. 

Jr said:

WOW I didn't realize it was like that at least they got to keep their camp so much history I don't know about that area!

Thanks for that info!
I wish I lived closer so I could spend more time talking to locals but when I get to the glades I can't wait to get in the water and go exploring/fishing

When you say recreational air boaters is that just property owners or can any body with a air boat go
I thought it was only park rangers and tour boats that could operate a motor boat on the south side of 41

There is an old airboat trail east of Mitchells on Loop Road. The airboats are no longer allowed to use it. The NPS determined it was too dangerous (for airboats)  The locals use it for a swimming hole and it was popular with canoeing hunters when the area still supported a deer herd. Does anyone have any information on this old trail? Mitchells is a nice trail but I would imagine you would have to keep looking back over your shoulder and keep your ears open for airboaters.

Here is a pic of me standing at the old airboat landing.  Its a popular swimming/bathing hole for the locals that live on Loop Road. I use it myself.

The next picture shows the old trails from Gator Hook Landing. I may have posted it here before. Most of the old camps have been burned down for the purpose of preservation, but the names remain.  Im sorry about the poor quality.

Sorry the map is too large to post I guess. I think I posted it before anyway.

Attachments:

In case anyone here is not aware of the serious problem in the Stairsteps Unit 4 of the Big Cypress here is the FWC study. Its been awhile since I read it but I hear the deer counts are still extremely low to nil. The wild hogs have been eliminated from the area. In my opinion all mammalian wildlife has been affected from raccoons to otters to mice. Like I mentioned earlier I have found at least 5 sick or dying hawks. Its a very sad situation and its spreading into Stairsteps 3 and the lower Loop Unit. It should be a concern for all lovers of wildlife.  .http://myfwc.com/media/464629/Deer_Stairsteps_Status.pdf

Attachments:

I apologize for getting off topic Jr. Its just that I love the swamp and I am passionate about it and I will do what little I can to help protect and preserve the area and its wildlife for future generations to enjoy. I am very sad to see the Starsteps area deteriorate to its present state while under the protection of the NPS.

To get back on topic, here is a picture I took of the old map I found at the FMB check station after resizing. It shows airboat trails that have been in use for probably 100 years with camp and trail junction coordinates. Please save them.  Some of these old trails were used by the Seminoles. But because of the designated trail system, these old trails will soon disappear. Why not use one of these old trails for canoeing while its still legal?  I overheard a conversation that the NPS considered making the trail at the old Gator Hook Landing an official canoe trail but it was scrapped because it would be too much work.  But I talked to some hunters that told me the trail was open just several years ago. Its only thick in the beginning. Here is a story of the old Gator Hook Bar. I remember airboaters parked up and down the road at this landing. http://www.tampabay.com/features/humaninterest/the-gator-hook-bar-w...

I havent had time to try it myself and I am only a beginner and my canoe skills are limited. But why doesnt someone here try it? Im also beginning to feel that Im talking to myself here lol.  I wish someone would comment.  If Im talking to much please tell me. You will see on the map the trails go into the "Bird Cage" or "Tweety Bird" area as well. Im not sure if this is off limits to canoes you need to check with the NPS..

I believe we should keep some of these historic trails open. They are already in place but the swamp will gobble them up quickly if they are not used. The airboaters have lost the battle. Its up to you now. Somebody please keep them open while its still legal to do so. Thanks.

Attachments:

I compared my old map with the current designated trail map posted by yakmaster. It appears the purple trails (they look blue from my camera flash) are discontinued so they can be used for a sawgrass to saltwater trip. As far as I know you do not need to ask permission for a canoe. Just fill out a backcountry permit and go. I would leave a copy on your dashboard. I do not know the condition of these trails and it will probably take someone that is willing to go out there and actually try it before we will know for sure. I believe if someone does it, others will follow. One thing I learned from reading this forum is that the canoeists here are determined and certainly more than capable to keep these historic trails open.

Thanks much for posting all this info Dale. Those coordinates alone could be gold!

Great story on that bar - must've been something.. he he

I did a trip out of Mitchells a couple years ago. We headed south on the airboat trails in a canoe. The water level had dropped so we did more push and pulling of the canoe than paddling. We made it just past Tiger Hammock. The campsite we stayed at was overgrown it hadn't been used in years. On the way out a guy in an airboat offered a ride out from about half way back to Mitchells. we took him up on the offer and tried towing my canoe with the airboat. Not a good idea. The canoe shot sideways twice and acted like a big anchor when it went around a small cypress stopping the airboat. The second time it happened it cracked the front of my canoe. We managed to pull the canoe up onto the airboat and he dropped us about a quarter mile from the end. It was a fun trip and we want to go back again when water levels are higher and try for Coconuts. it would be a good paddle if water levels are high enough. I have a two month old so it will probably be a while before I get back down but eventually I will make it back down. If you look at my past discussions there is a thread about this area. This site has been a lot of help panning many trips.

Dale,

Thanks for the maps and the story. There is no such thing as talking too much when it comes to trying to preserve the history of our favorite places.

"Gladesmen would have eaten the Hatfields and McCoys, with grits, for breakfast."  Perfect!

Thanks Flex and Gary. I remember reading your story Dennis. I hope you were able to fix your canoe. 

Old trails can be found in the old DeLorme Florida Atas & Gazetteer. I purchased this 1989 version from eBay. Sorry for the poor pics. It doesnt show a trail to saltwater but a trail goes NW around Lostmans Pines all the way to Turner River.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith W.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service